SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quantitative 16S profiling with multiple 16S genes per genome AaronS Metagenomics 1 10-26-2012 12:16 PM
Normalization of 16S PCR products cmazzoni Metagenomics 0 07-21-2011 05:17 AM
SPRI bead for PCR cleanup in illumina pair end library preparation Berkeley2010 Illumina/Solexa 2 10-20-2010 12:46 PM
qiagen and minelute columns seqgirl123 Illumina/Solexa 0 03-09-2009 04:59 AM

Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
rsirois

Default 16S PCR Cleanup: MoBio or Qiagen

Hello all,

I will be generating 16S amplicons for use on the MiSeq platform. The article that I am basing my protocol on notes that they used the MoBio PCR clean-up kit to remove residual PCR "junk" from their amplicon products prior to sequencing. The kit is rather expensive for my lab and I know that we already have the Qiagen PCR Cleanup kit. Does anyone have any recommendations on which kit to use? How different are the kits from one another? Does one work better than the other? Will I get similar results?

Thanks,

Rachael
rsirois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
ScottC

Firstly, I'll say that I haven't used the MoBio kit. But, if you're just doing a regular PCR cleanup, I think nearly any PCR cleanup kit will be OK. We use either Qiagen or AmpureXP.
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
jertlse

Hi rsirois
In my lab we use Ampure Xp for all the clean up and purification.
I have to generate 16S amplicons for MiSeq too, can you give me the reference of the article that you talk about?

Thanks

Jer
jertlse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
rsirois

Hi Jer,

Thank you for your reply. As far as the reference goes - I have been basing my PCR protocol off of that described in Caporaso et al., 2012 (Ultra-high-throughput microbial community analysis on the Illumina HiSeq and MiSeq platforms). It provides a very thorough supplementary methods and I know many people in this forum have used this paper. Best of luck.

-Rachael
rsirois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
kkrishnan

Hi, I was wondering if after the PCR step, we need to perform a size selection on the gel? My PCR product is not just one band (even with the V4 primers from Caporaso). If only a column cleanup is done (as performed in previous studies followed by pooling then size selection just before sequencing) and libraries pooled then isn't that inaccurate? However gel extraction of several libraries seems not-so-high throughput...Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
kkrishnan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16s, mobio, pcr cleanup, qiagen