Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cufflinks missing transcript assembly in random genomic loci swaraj Bioinformatics 0 06-19-2013 10:48 AM
question about CREST PCR template file tujchl Genomic Resequencing 0 05-03-2012 06:28 PM
PCR Jumping (Template Switching) in Amplicon sequencing eladSeq 454 Pyrosequencing 2 04-02-2012 07:10 AM
emulsion pcr - one template-fragment per bead? Triticum 454 Pyrosequencing 1 11-30-2009 10:31 AM

Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
Junior Member
Location: USA

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3
Unhappy Multiplex PCR missing some loci/low template

I am trying to multiplex 12 primer sets in a single PCR. The goal is to amplify 12 taxon-specific loci from environmental samples. So, 1) DNA concentrations are low (<100 DNA copies/rxn) and 2) not all rxns contain all 12 loci (some might contain DNA from only one taxon).

In my no template controls there is a pretty big primer dimer band. I tested all 66 possible primer pairs (n=2 primer pairs per rxn) and found that there is a small-medium size primer dimer band in ~1/2 of them. None of these heterodimers look bad from an in silico test. So I think the big primer dimer band in the full n = 12 multiplex is cumulative. I'm using a lot of cycles (n=40) because template concentration is low.

The problem is that I'm *only* getting a primer dimer band in reactions where template is low (<100 copies/rxn) and there is only DNA from one taxon. I get fewer primer dimers and a better band as I increase template concentration and add in more taxa. I know that in singleplex I get one clean band of the expected size with the same PCR conditions.

My hypothesis: The primer-primer interactions are relatively weak, but without other templates and with lots of cycles, heterodimer formation is taking over the mutliplex PCR.

Does anyone have experience with a similar study design? Having trouble finding the lower limit on template quantities and the effect of missing loci on multiplex PCR. Any ideas on optimization (I know that I could up annealing temp, use TD-PCR, and decrease primer concentrations to start perhaps)?
taylor_wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:51 AM   #2
Location: Ghent, Belgium

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 18

I have tried a similar setup. 10 amplicons per multiplex. Only a few amplicons amplified, so I decreased the primer concentration for those amplicons, or increased the concentration for those that not amplified. For some, a missing amplicon appeared, but then an other disappeared. I think I did more than 20 optimization steps in changing concentrations and always some disappear or appear, but I could never get all of them. Also tried different annealing temperatures, MgCl concentrations, number of cycles, all without success.

To conclude, I gave up...
Multiplex sounds fine, but practical is complex to get it running. Maybe with primers with high annealing temperature (above 60-65°) it could work (some kits for amplifying cancer genes work that way), but that was impossible in my experiment.
avierstr is offline   Reply With Quote

amplicon sequencing, multiplex pcr

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO