No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using bioperl to parse genome based on basepair location

Hello all
    I have a genome that I am looking to parse a genome based on another file that has a name associated with the coordinates of the specific name in the genome of my species (for this purpose I will just use the first line of the fasta file of the genome)

My coordinate file looks like the lines below
    name1 20 35
    name2 35 40
    name2 1 4
    The genome file looks like the one below
    GL849905.1 dna:scaffold:GL849905.1:1:5315331:1 REF
    TTATATTCATATATTTATATATATATATATATATATTATATATACACACACATATCCAGATACAGGCTCATAAACATGCATACACGTGTGCATATACCATGCTAAATTCGCACAAATACATATACGAATACACATACCGCACTGTGCCTTTACATATATAGAAACGTACGCATATTTGACTCACGCGCATACACACAATGCCTGCACACACACATACCTACATAATAAACATAGACTGAGATTTAGGACCAGAACTAAAGGCTCAATAAGCATTTATTAAGCACCTACAGCATGCCAAAC
    I am new to using bioperl but i know that you can implement
    $string = $seq_obj->subseq(20,35)
    to extract that specific sequence, my problem is I am working on a much bigger scale and with many more names and locations. So I know I need to open one file (the one with the names and coordinates) to loop through and substitute for the 20, 35 each time but I don't know how to accomplish this through bioperl. I can extract one string based on one location but implementing it on a grander scale is giving me problems.

Cheers
    Last edited by ninja_help; 08-06-2015, 02:15 PM.

BioPerl is great, but unless this is just one small task in the midst of several things you want to do with these sequences using BioPerl, I would recommend you turn your coordinate file into BED3 format (watch the coordinates!) and use the bedtools getfasta command to extract the sequences. It is fast and you are very close to being done already.

Comment

thanks for the reply @dgscofield

by BED3 format do you mean this under the BED format section?

Comment

That is correct. Getfasta description is here: http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/l.../getfasta.html

Comment

I have another question regarding the BED format (my apologies for so many questions)
          I dont know what scaffold the locations are located on, would that impair me from using BED
          since they require scaffold or chromosome number?
          the names of specific sequences and coordinates are associated with each other, but aren't the actual scaffold within the genome.
          Last edited by ninja_help; 08-07-2015, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses