This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My intro

My name is Joe Daly. I am working at Intel to develop solutions to compute and data movement issues realted to the volumes of data related to short read sequencing.
    Joe Daly
    Intel Corp. - Integrated Analytics

Brian Bramlett at Intel has been working on for visualizing Illumina data for quality control. I've seen some wonderful screen shots of his work, but don't have permission to share them. I think they would be of interest to many on this site. Perhaps you are connected to him or that work?

Comment

Hi Joe, Your introduction sounds interesting - would you be able to tell us a little more about your work? What compute projects are you working on?
      The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by cariaso View Post
        Brian Bramlett at Intel has been working on for visualizing Illumina data for quality control. I've seen some wonderful screen shots of his work, but don't have permission to share them. I think they would be of interest to many on this site. Perhaps you are connected to him or that work?
        Hi Mike,
        We are still trying to figure out how to release Brian's work. Let's get a phone call for the three of us to talk.

Joe
        Joe Daly

Comment

Hi Anthony,
          We are trying to address a few issues for labs who are new to short read sequencing, or labs who don't have budgets for large support staff. The first objective is a turn key startup which integrates a baseline level of storage, compute, cluster technology, and an application toolbox so startup is seemless. Secondly, we are selectively applying Intel QuickAssist front side bus accelerators to improve the compute/[$$, cubic foot, watt] performance. As you stated in your blog, we are moving cautiously because many of the applications are still very fluid. It is also just difficult to stay ahead of Moore's law for over a long period of time, so the selection process needs to focus on those handful of things that have unlimited compute demand. We also hope to make the process of finding and installing bioinformatics apps very painless. By getting a platform that is based on open technology, and getting enough volume, we expect to stabilize execution targets for developers. I'm in Portland, OR so it woud be easy to have a phone follow up.

Thanks, Joe
          Joe Daly

Comment

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the excellent summary - I appreciate you sharing that information with us.

I also very much appreciate what you're saying about helping new groups to get set up with the technology. Although the GSC is beyond that phase now, there are clearly some major hurdles to getting everything in place. I'm somewhat curious about the scalability of what you're working on, in terms of whether you expect it will be useful for large groups as well. (Although I understand getting an established group to switch would be much more difficult than getting in at the ground level.)

I hope I'm not asking too many questions. - and thanks again for taking the time to reply! (=
            The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

Comment

Joe,
              I would be curious too about the scalability of your start-up solution. We have had 1 solexa for a year, being upgraded to GA2, along with a new GA2. So we have cleared some of the startup hurdles, only to catch the newer ones and work on overcoming them
              --
              bioinfosm

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses