No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STAR Aligner Output BAM Processing

Hi everyone,

I am a new user of STAR Aligner. I have been using GSNAP until now, but my new group likes STAR better. I am very excited about using it and have a couple of questions too. We will be using paired end fastq files as input. I saw there are couple of really cool things with STAR:

1. Output coordinate-sorted/unsorted BAM files using --outSAMtype
    2. Output read counts using --quantMode

Question 1: Does the --quantMode perform equally well to htseq-count? Are the read-counts identical in both cases?

When I was using GSNAP, after I obtained the output BAM file, I used to perform the following steps before using htseq-count:
    1. samtools fixmate to fill in mate information
    2. bamtools filter to keep only "reads in proper pair" and CIGAR string should indicate atleast one match i.e. 'M'

Question 2: So do I have to do these steps after I obtain the bam output from STAR?

Question 3: My command line for htseq-count is as follows with the GSNAP output:
    samtools view -f 0x0002 sample.bam | htseq-count - $GTF > sample.counts

Question 3: Do I have to use '-f 0x0002' (i.e. reads mapped in proper pair) while using htseq-count on STAR output bam file as well?

Thanks a lot!
    Komal Rathi
    Bioinformatics Application Developer
    University of Pennsylvania

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses