Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you freeze hyb cocktails?

I asked Illumina about whether or not I could prepare my flowcell hyb cocktails well in advance and freeze them, and the official recommendation was not to store them for longer than a day or two. When I asked specifically why, they couldn't really tell me, but I got the impression that it might be related to loss of yield due to DNA sticking to the tubes, or perhaps instability of the sample in the hyb buffer. However, I could swear I've heard that labs do this regularly.

My question is: In the real world, do labs freeze (or otherwise store) samples in hyb buffer for later use? If so or if not, why? For how long?

Thanks!

Yes, all the time for weeks and months with no severe variation in clustering efficiency. We use eppendorf DNA lo-bind tubes out of paranoia but haven't tested other tubes.

Comment

We also freeze ours and on occasion I have gone back an reused them for another flowcell.

Comment

We try not to, due to Illumina best practices recommendation. Although I have done a few times and didn't see an impact on data from what we would expect.
        Our FAS also suggested we could freeze-thaw our PhiX hyb cocktail to avoid prepping a new one each time.

I suppose in an ideal world someone could do a fresh hyb cocktail vs multiple freeze-thaw from the same aliquot. I would be surprised it Illumina hadn't done this - so there must be some long term impact.

Comment

We store our fully diluted hyb cocktails in case of lane failures. I've noticed around a 10% loss of cluster density when we reuse the cocktail however. Recently, instead of reusing the fully dilute HT1+lib, I stored the 20pm tube and then diluted that down to a working concentration about 10% higher than we loaded the first time around. I saw good results from that.

Comment

Recently new Illumina user documentation has stated that denatured+diluted 20 pM sample prep libraries can be stored for up to three weeks at -15C to -25C with little or no cluster density reduction. They can be stored for longer lengths of time but a small decrease in cluster density may result. Use of low binding (adsorption) plastic tubes is recommended.

from an Illumina customer support representative

Comment

Garyb- do you have a link or can you tell me which user documentation says this? I'd love to have a copy. Thank you!
              -Jen

Comment

See page 77 of the latest MiSeq User Guide, link below, you will need to be a registered myIllumina member to access documentation.

These guidelines should eventually make it into the related HiSeq user documentation. The recommendation is good for all Illumina next generation sequencing platforms since they all work on the same Bridging Amplification process inside the flowcell.

from an Illumina customer support representative

Comment

we freeze ours for a month in lo-bind tubes,not sure much longer

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                    Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses