SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lynx Liquid Handler? santorini Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 08-15-2016 05:59 AM
Anybody own an EpMotion 5075 liquid handler? jlove Core Facilities 18 09-29-2015 12:21 PM
Open Access, Open Source, and Intellectual Property Policies at US Universities Joann General 0 03-05-2015 05:17 AM
Miso's open source joyce kang Bioinformatics 1 01-25-2012 07:25 AM
Anybody own an EpMotion 5075 Liquid Handler? jlove Illumina/Solexa 0 12-16-2011 01:20 PM

Old 10-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
Orome

Default Open-source Liquid Handler

Hey all,
I recently came across the opentrons open-source liquid handler system and participated in a video demo with one of their sales managers. They claim to have managed to automate Nextera XT library prep including bead-based normalization, but for $3,000 that seems a bit too good to be true. Does anyone here have any experience with this (very small - they have only sold around 400 systems yet) company.

Thanks a ton.
Orome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
sbarberan

Did you find more information about this liquid handler? We are also interested in this system, it does sounds like a perfect low-budget solution.
sbarberan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:27 AM   #3
Orome

I actually had the chance to see one in the flesh. It is indeed a cool idea. The liquid handler is basically a 3d printer like contraption that takes normal handheld single- and multi-channel pipettes. It seems to do the job perfectly well if you are investing a bit of time and not working with super critical applications. Apparently, you have to do quite a bit of adjustments before it runs smoothly. Opentrons don't provide any kind of on-site support but seem to have a helpful online support.
It has none of the fancy features of the "professional" LHs like collision control, liquid status control or any kind of certification. I would probably not use it to automate my entire pipeline but consider buying one for simple and non-critical tasks (at <10% the price of a Eppendorf/Hamilton/etc. this is too tempting).
Orome is offline   Reply With Quote