Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions on amplicon-processing vs shotgun processing

Hello. I'm sorry that my question maybe a dumb question. I read an article from http://pathogenomics.bham.ac.uk/blog...on-processing/ and finding it so interesting! I would like to go back to my old runs to reanalyse the data using the shot-gun processing. But in order to do this, do I need my PTP to reprocess? Does anybody know how to set up the reprocessing with the shot gun processing?

Many thanks!

It's really not hard at all. The simplest way is to open either the D...imageProcessingOnly... dataset or the R directory in gs Run Browser. On the overview tab, there is a section on the right hand side with the heading "Run Processor Manager". Just type a name in the box, choose the processing type below, and hit the start button.

Alternatively, you can use the command line by typing "runAnalysisPipe" and then the R or D directory you want to process.

In my experience, I have found that even though I get more reads by using the shotgun pipeline, those extra reads aren't helpful in the data analysis. In fact, I found that there was some difference in homopolymer regions of some reads depending on which pipeline was used. For example, a particular sequence may have a homopolymer of 5 G's. When using the Amplicon pipeline, I might get 50 reads of that sequence, all of which have 5 G's, whereas with the shotgun pipeline I might get 70 reads, but only 35 have 5 G's and the rest have 4 or 6. Yes, that's right, some of the reads that were right with the amplicon pipeline were wrong with the shotgun pipeline. Of course, that was a while ago when I observed that, and I haven't confirmed that this still happens with any updates to the software, but that is what I saw back then. In short, I found that the extra data obtained with the shotgun pipeline didn't help at all, and in some cases made things worse. Maybe it will work better for you.

Comment

Thanks ajthomas! That was really helpful! I managed to reprocess the data with shot-gun processing and the total reads (passed filter wells) have doubled! However, I have now got another questions of my run http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...5418#post85418

Comment

Hi WSL, depending on the type of amplicon and purpose of the project, you may also want to see how the data looks (at least the # of reads) using a modified amplicon signal processing. You'll get more reads than the default amplicon processing, but the read lengths may vary more. The way to do this is described in Roche's amplicon design guidelines.

Comment

Thanks RCJK! The modified amplicon signal processing sounds very appealing to me. I will reprocess my data and then compare it. Do you know what are the differences on the threshold of each filters (I assume there are major differences between different signal processing pipelines)?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
          0 responses