Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Illumina diagrams correct?

Is it true that single-stranded DNA libraries are initially BOUND directly to the flow cell as suggested in Illumina's diagrams (see panel b in attached figure). I always assumed they simply hybridized to the primer lawns.

Originally posted by drdna View Post
    Is it true that single-stranded DNA libraries are initially BOUND directly to the flow cell as suggested in Illumina's diagrams (see panel b in attached figure). I always assumed they simply hybridized to the primer
    Yeah, that seems a little misleading. I would say that panel b more accurately represents the state after the initial cycle of amplification (primer extension). The flow cell bound primer has been extended using the hybridized library molecule template, then the original template strand has been denatured and washed away.

It seems the description of the initial stages in the this thread aren't quite accurate.

Comment

This Illumina figure is also incorrect. As per my understanding, it is not possible to generate double stranded molecules with free ends!

from the link:

http://www.illumina.com/content/dam/...troduction.pdf
      Last edited by drdna; 07-20-2015, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Is this illustration better: http://www.illumina.com/documents/pr...sequencing.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
          No, that's the original image that is also inaccurate for a different reason - see original post. It seems that the Illumina folks did not have anyone who understands the technology check the diagrams coming out of their illustration department/provider. I wanted to use an original Illumina illustration in a talk that describes the principle of bridge amplification but the official diagrams will confuse the audience, so I think I'll create my own.

Comment

Originally posted by drdna View Post
            No, that's the original image that is also inaccurate for a different reason - see original post. It seems that the Illumina folks did not have anyone who understands the technology check the diagrams coming out of their illustration department/provider. I wanted to use an original Illumina illustration in a talk that describes the principle of bridge amplification but the official diagrams will confuse the audience, so I think I'll create my own.
            Try the original paper: Nucl. Acids Res. (2000) 28 (20): e87. doi: 10.1093/nar/28.20.e87. Figure 1.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses