Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to visualize microbiome datasets ?

Hi,

I have 16S rRNA datasets produced by Mothur and I want to plot my data and get publictaion quality figures (stacked bars, heatmaps, etc). I dont have familiarity with command line based packages such R, SAS, etc. I tried explicet, but it was not helpful for my data. Does anyone have suggestions for me about any user friendly tool, that I can use for my data?

Any help will be appreciated.

Richa

Hi Richa,

have you tried STAMP (http://kiwi.cs.dal.ca/Software/STAMP)? You could also use some of the QIIME scripts (http://qiime.org/tutorials/tutorial.html).

cheers!

Comment

Hi overflow,

Thanks for your suggestion. I dint hear about STAMP before. Are you sure if I can use it for mothur generated data? Because I did not see any explanation of mothur data file format in the STAMP guide book.

Comment

there is a conversion tool for mothur data integrated (whatever that means because I'm not familiar with mothur).
        However, at the end STAMP uses tables as input, so you should be able to import your data after some modifications.

Comment

Hi overflow,

Thanks for help. I work with windows. I installed STAMP, and I was also able to make SPF file (from mothur files) using it, but when I try to load them, I cant see anything on STAMP window. Do you already use STAMP? Does it needs JAVA too ? What could be the problem ?

Comment

just had the same problem, did you also include a metadata file?

Comment

No I did not include a metadeta file.

Comment

You could give that a try:

Comment

for PCA etc. you need to supply a metadata file, otherwise you will only be able to compare 2 samples

Comment

I understand, for PCA, I must provide a metadta file. But I wanted to start with plotting simple bar graphs. where is the problem. Can you tell me ?

Comment

ggplot2 heatmaps are IMO quite suitable for big data representation..
                      savetherhino.org

Comment

Originally posted by Richa Sharma View Post
                        I understand, for PCA, I must provide a metadta file. But I wanted to start with plotting simple bar graphs. where is the problem. Can you tell me ?
                        supply metadata file and it will work, no idea why you have to do that...

Comment

Hi,
                          Which metadata file do you load in STAMP to make it work with mothur files ?
                          Thanks,
                          Julien

Comment

You could also make a biom file in mothur then use qiime scripts for visualization. I would recommend you try Nephele <https://nephele.niaid.nih.gov> which has easy to use pipelines based on mothur or qiime and produces graphical outputs.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                            0 responses