Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open source tools for 23andMe data

With the crazy cheap price of 23andMe's chip I wonder what tools we can build to play around with the data. They do a good job of annotating common variants and tracing ancestry. But their data can be exported and it seems like there could be lots more to explore.

Thoughts? Maybe we need a forum just for 23andMe data hehe...
    Last edited by adaptivegenome; 12-11-2012, 04:44 PM. Reason: Typo

I would like to see a public domain database where people can anonymously submit their data, allowing aggregate analyses to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by BAMseek View Post
      I would like to see a public domain database where people can anonymously submit their data, allowing aggregate analyses to be done.
      I would too but there would be have to something to encourage people to do that. 23andMe already aggregates user data and makes it available to researchers. The key is to identify new ways to gain insight from the data I think. But this my two cents.

Comment

I can contribute my cloud engine built for lay person in case the data amount is large, i.e. in case there will be a new hobby group developed in the human kind who will hunt sequences in their spare time for fun, they could have their own supercomputer in 5 mins. (e.g. I have my own trails account to start up 140 cores).

My two pence.

Comment

Originally posted by BAMseek View Post
          Something like this http://opensnp.org/ might be what you're looking for in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by turnersd View Post
            Something like this http://opensnp.org/ might be what you're looking for in the future.
            I saw that. Have you used it? I wonder how it differs from what 23andMe or SNpedia offers. Does not seem to have much in the way of analysis tools.

Comment

there's Personal Genome Project http://www.personalgenomes.org/harvard/data

curious what can be gleaned from the data...
              http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses