No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inline barcodes appearing in reverse read of pair

Hi All,

I have Illumina 101bp paired-end data where the libraries were prepared with custom inline barcodes at the P5 end. So the first 6 bases of the R1 reads contain the barcode sequences for demultiplexing. I used Flexbar 2.5 to demultiplex the reads and it assigned about 85% of them successfully (lower than i would of liked, but ok for now). However, when I look in the R2 reads for each sample I can see that there is a disproportionate number that have the barcode as well.

For example, with sample DK097, the output can be broken down as:

R1: [BARCODE] [ READ SEQUENCE ] 11.0 million reads
    R2: [ READ SEQUENCE ] 10.5 million reads
    R2: [BARCODE] [ READ SEQUENCE ] 0.5 million reads

What could cause the barcode to be appearing in the reverse read, often right at the start of the read, in up to 5% of the pairs??

cheers
    DK

Maybe the 0.5 million reads have sandwiched adapters, i.e., adapters with adapters on them. This would produce something like:
    Code:
    P5-barcode-read-barcode-P5-P7
    I wouldn't expect the rate of that to be so high, but that's the first explanation that comes to my mind at least.

Comment

Hi dpryan,

thanks for the quick reply. So let me try understand this. If we have fragments with:

P5-barcode-read-barcode-P5-P7

When the sequencer does the second read starting from the P7 primer, wouldn't the read contain the P5 adapter at the start before the barcode?

Comment

Unless you already trimmed adapters yes, that's correct.

Comment

no, i can see the barcode at the start of the raw R2 reads prior to trimming.

Let me rename things a little:

P5-barcode---read---barcode*-P5*-P7

Could the ---barcode*-P5*-P7 end of the fragment hybridize to the P5 adapter on the flowcell during the second read phase (instead of the P7 doing it's job), thus causing the R2 read to begin from the P5* sequencing primer?

Comment

Do you have any short fragments so that the first read traverses into the adapters on the other side? That would give some concrete information about the structure of that side. Is this a RAD-type library or something else that uses inline barcodes?
            Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

I was thinking this sounded familiar. Another case?
              Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

SNPsaurus, that case looks pretty similar!

The library is whole genome shotgun with P5 barcoded adapters: These adapters are of the form CTTTCCCTACACGACGCTCTTCCGATCT[AGGATG] where those last 6 bases are the barcode.

Here is an R1 (forward) read that is short and traverses through the P7 adapter and Primer 2 (bold). Barcode is blue

AGGATGCACCCGGGAACCTTGATTCACATCCTAGATCGGAAGAGCGGTTCAGCAGGAATGCCGAGACCGATCTCGTATGCCGTCTTCTGCTTGAAAAAAAA

Here is another one which is really just a barcode and then the P7 stuff, then junk

CGACTCAGATCGGAAGAGCGGTTCAGCAGGAATGCCGAGACCGATCTCGTATGCCGTCTTCTGCTTGAAAAAAAAAAAATATTAAAGCAACTACTAGATAG

Comment

I wonder if Q scores for read 2 starting with barcode is lower than normal ones and if the pair maps to reference at expected distance and orientation.
                  Last edited by nucacidhunter; 09-25-2015, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses