No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ddRADseq library variability

Hi everyone,
    I'm in the process of running through the ddRADseq protocol with my samples and I've recently received the first lot of sequences back and it seems something has gone wrong in sample prep.
    What we have done is pool ~500 samples (in groups of 48) using a barcode-index system, and run them on the illumina HiSeq platform.
    I'm using the STACKs pipeline for most of my analysis (although I may move from this further down the track and look at developing my own... we'll see how much motivation I have) and after running ustacks, it appears that I have major differences in read depth and number of stacks between groups of 48.
    Each group was prepared at a different time, but using the same procedure...
    So, when I graph number of stacks against number of reads, I get a similar curve between groups, but the number of stacks varies by a lot (so, I've got several curves at different levels if groups are graphed together, if that makes sense). I would maybe expect this between groups if they were different species, but within species I figured I'd get some consistency.
    My guess is that its due to 1 of 4 reasons:
    1 - Inconsistent size selection
    2 - Incomplete/inconsistent digestion
    3 - PCR bias
    4 - Problem with STACKs
    Has anyone encountered this before? And if so, what was the problem? I'd like to start my second lot of library prep, but need to sort this out before I start.

Any advice would be good!
    Cheers,
    Shannon

How are you doing the size selection? Even a few basepairs difference in the size range can mean adding or losing hundreds to thousands of loci with ddRAD. Size selection is usually the primary issue with ddRAD. Since you are working within a species the loss and gain of the frequent-cutting restriction site should be less of an issue.

DNA quality can also play a role. Lower-quality DNA can produce more "off-target" loci from improper adapter ligation to free ends of DNA. Can you tell from STACKs if there are lots of loci with a low level of reads?
    Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Hi Shann_rk
      I am wondering if you could post a Bioanalyser trace or gel photo of you single and double digested DNA for a few samples that has made a good library.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses