Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oases Question

So I am analyzing strand-specific RNA seq data of Schizosaccharomyces pombe using Oases v0.2.06

I used ABySS to create kmer values of 34,36,38,...,64. When I try to use oases with a value > 31 I get this error message:

[0.000000] Velvet can't handle k-mers as long as 34! We'll stick to 31 if you don't mind.

Why is this? How do I get it to work with other higher kmer values?

I found the solution, you simply do

Code:
    make 'MAXKMERLENGTH=92'
    or whatever when you compile velvet and oases. Good luck!

Comment

One other thing that you should be aware of is that Oases probably can't handle kmers of even length. The reason is that Velvet's representation can't handle palindromes (i.e. kmers equal to their own reverse complement). Simply mandating that k must be odd avoids the problem completely.
      sub f{($f)=@_;print"$f(q{$f});";}f(q{sub f{($f)=@_;print"$f(q{$f});";}f});

Comment

Oh I see, I did have another question. How do you get the insert length and expected coverage for paired-end reads? I have a bunch of fastq files I downloaded from NCBI.

Comment

Neither Trinity nor Oases requires either number.

In DNA-seq, 10x coverage means that the amount of read data is 10 times the estimated amount of genomic data. (Sometimes mitochondria or chloroplasts end up amplified more or less than chromosomes, but we'll ignore that complication for the moment.)

For RNA-seq, there is no such thing as "expected coverage", because the amount of "expected" data depends on the degree of expression of each transcript. For DNA-seq, you can usually tell the coverage by looking at the k-mer count histogram. (Dedicated k-mer counters like Jellyfish or Meryl do this directly, but you can also get the information from the graph build pass of pretty much any de Bruijn graph-based assembler, such as velvetg or Gossamer graph-build.) There is a distinct visible "hump" on the histogram which is proportional to the nominal coverage. If you do the same for RNA-seq data, there is invariably no "hump".

(Incidentally, this is one of the reasons why RNA-seq is significantly harder than DNA-seq. Noise is indistinguishable from transcripts with low expression, and PCR bias is indistinguishable from transcripts with higher expression.)

As for insert length, if it's not documented, you probably can't tell without a reference genome. I'm not a wet lab person, but do I recall correctly that some older RNA-seq protocols don't have a size selection step at all? But thankfully, you probably don't need to know it.
          sub f{($f)=@_;print"$f(q{$f});";}f(q{sub f{($f)=@_;print"$f(q{$f});";}f});

Comment

hi all
            oases is showing an error make: *** [velvet] Error 2
            help me to fix this thank u

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses