Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick start for clcbio is to check their docs.
    Their support page is at: http://www.clcbio.com/index.php?id=615 It has links to FAQ, tutorials, screencasts, etc.
    Open up the app, see what it looks like, see how much is intuitive. There are many many more features than any one sequencing lab or bioinf group will use, so my usual way is to investigate the app, then check docs, then investigate, check docs, ask forum, investigate, repeat.

This clc-specific topic (if continued) is probably better as new thread.

-B-
    Benjamin
    Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine

Comment

Thanks for your info and advice.

Originally posted by BenjaminL View Post
      Quick start for clcbio is to check their docs.
      Their support page is at: http://www.clcbio.com/index.php?id=615 It has links to FAQ, tutorials, screencasts, etc.
      Open up the app, see what it looks like, see how much is intuitive. There are many many more features than any one sequencing lab or bioinf group will use, so my usual way is to investigate the app, then check docs, then investigate, check docs, ask forum, investigate, repeat.

This clc-specific topic (if continued) is probably better as new thread.

-B-

Comment

Hi All,

DNASTAR software fully supports reference-guided assemblies (as well as de novo) for Ion Torrent data. If you check out the Ion Torrent page on our website, you can see videos of many of the Ion Torrent project types we handle (Ion AmpliSeq Cancer Panel, Paired-End Assembly with a Reference, etc.), as well as benchmarks and other resources.

Also, feel free to download a fully-functional free trial of Lasergene Genomics Suite to try it out for yourself.

If you have questions, just give us a call or send us an email.
        866-511-5090
        [email protected]

Thanks,
        Anne

Comment

Referenced assembly with Ion Torrent - Mosaik from fastq files

Hi - has anybody tried referenced or de novo assembly from the .sam (or .fastq) files and ion Torrent datasets ? I downloaded the following data sets from the ion Community:

B7-143
          B7-295
          C19-543

And I do have .bam (.sam) and .fastq files

Velvet de novo assembly technically worked, but left me with many thousands of small contigs, so it is useless

(*) Velvet

All trials of referenced assembly with the Columbus extension to Velvet and Mosaik Assembler (using sorted sam files) and Mosaik Assembler (MosaikBuild) failed, apparently for serious inconsistencies on the data set or data format incompatibility:
          [0.000000] Reading FastA file NC_010473.C19-543.genome.fasta;
          [59.568244] 1 sequences found
          [59.568247] Done
          [59.568619] Reading SAM file C19-543.sorted.sam
          [355.404283] 6906611 reads found.
          [355.404285] Done
          [355.404286] Reference mapping counters
          [355.404287] Name Read mappings
          [355.404288] gi|170079663|ref|NC_010473.1| 19688393
          [356.782277] Reading read set file C19-543/Sequences;
          [363.732809] 6906612 sequences found
          [363.733517] Read 1 of length 32794, longer than limit 32767
          [363.733519] You should modify recompile with the LONGSEQUENCES option (cf. manual)

(*) MosaikBuild

MosaikBuild -q B7-295.fastq.gz -out B7-295.reads.dat -st 454
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          MosaikBuild 2.1.73 2012-11-08
          Michael Stromberg & Wan-Ping Lee Marth Lab, Boston College Biology Department

- setting read group ID to: ZKON5B26EGE
          - setting sample name to: unknown
          - setting sequencing technology to: 454

- parsing FASTQ file:
          reads: 2,281,414 \ERROR: The number of qualities (45) do not match the number of bases (385) in 9IKNG:01351:01857.

Is everybody using newbler ? do you find the same problems of data inconsistency on the Ion Torrent fastq or bam/sam converted formats ?

Keep in touch and thanks in advance !

Alessandro

Comment

IonTor data: denovo w/MIRA, reference w/the ion community's built in assembler

Hi afuffanti,

I've used IonTor to do a denovo w/MIRA and I've also used a reference w/the ion community's built in aligner TMAP. Both were successful.

What are you trying to do?

Comment

Re:

Hi - I don't own the machine, so how do I get hold of TMAP ?

I am trying to evaluate the quality of the data BEFORE considering a purchase

Keep in touch

Alessandro

Comment

TMAP comes with the PGM (You won't need to load anything) During the alignment phase of the analysis TMAP aligns the reads to a reference that you loaded automatically.

Just be sure you load a reference sequence (fasta) and use it when you plan your run.

Comment

Re: assembly

Hi - as I said, I don't own a PGM, I am just experimenting in silico ;-)

However I finally suceeded in aligning at least the DH10B dataset to its genome with Mosaik - all the others seem to have an enormous number of reads nbelow 5 nt, which is quite bizarre..

Keep in touch

A

Comment

ohhhh! I see. You are working on data from an Ion Torrent machine that you are no where near.

In that case I would have them load the genome as a reference in the machine and re-run the analysis.

If you can't do that, I would use MIRA.

I've never used Mosaik, but your results don't sound convincing. We have 9 PGMs total. They are cheap and work fantastic.

Comment

Hi Alessandro,

TMAP is open source: https://github.com/iontorrent/TMAP

Also, if you were unable to access the link posted by jdilts, you can register for an account at the Ion Community to read further information on TMAP. You don't need to own an instrument.

Originally posted by aguffanti View Post
                      Hi - I don't own the machine, so how do I get hold of TMAP ?

I am trying to evaluate the quality of the data BEFORE considering a purchase

Keep in touch

Alessandro

Comment

Thanks for the links, this is what I was looking for !

I will also experiment with the Ion Torrent Virtualized software

Yes the Mosaik Aligner output I sent was from a failed run (incomplete transfer of data)

This is what I get from C11-278 dataset (which, I uderstand, is DH10B). Does this make sense to you ? the real issue I found with these datasets (except tis one) is a quite relevant number of reads with 5 nt or less - can somebody already familiar with this technology comment on that ? I am a 5500 analyst, but former 454 (never mind the mates, these are fragments..)

Alignment statistics (mates):
                        ================================================
                        # too short: 813 ( 0.0 %)
                        # failed hash: 1022 ( 0.0 %)
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        # unaligned mates(X): 1835 ( 0.0 %)
                        # filtered out(F): 1313241 ( 19.5 %)
                        # uniquely aligned mates(U): 5045130 ( 74.8 %)
                        # multiply aligned mates(M): 382553 ( 5.7 %)
                        ================================================
                        total aligned: 5427683 ( 80.5 %)
                        total: 6742759

MosaikAligner CPU time: 6379.710 s, wall time: 812.642 s

Thanks again to everybody and keep in touch

Alessandro
                        Last edited by aguffanti; 03-02-2013, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aguffanti View Post
                          Hi - has anybody tried referenced or de novo assembly from the .sam (or .fastq) files and ion Torrent datasets ? I downloaded the following data sets from the ion Community:

B7-143
                          B7-295
                          C19-543

And I do have .bam (.sam) and .fastq files

Velvet de novo assembly technically worked, but left me with many thousands of small contigs, so it is useless

(*) Velvet

All trials of referenced assembly with the Columbus extension to Velvet and Mosaik Assembler (using sorted sam files) and Mosaik Assembler (MosaikBuild) failed, apparently for serious inconsistencies on the data set or data format incompatibility:
                          [0.000000] Reading FastA file NC_010473.C19-543.genome.fasta;
                          [59.568244] 1 sequences found
                          [59.568247] Done
                          [59.568619] Reading SAM file C19-543.sorted.sam
                          [355.404283] 6906611 reads found.
                          [355.404285] Done
                          [355.404286] Reference mapping counters
                          [355.404287] Name Read mappings
                          [355.404288] gi|170079663|ref|NC_010473.1| 19688393
                          [356.782277] Reading read set file C19-543/Sequences;
                          [363.732809] 6906612 sequences found
                          [363.733517] Read 1 of length 32794, longer than limit 32767
                          [363.733519] You should modify recompile with the LONGSEQUENCES option (cf. manual)

(*) MosaikBuild

MosaikBuild -q B7-295.fastq.gz -out B7-295.reads.dat -st 454
                          MosaikBuild 2.1.73 2012-11-08
                          Michael Stromberg & Wan-Ping Lee Marth Lab, Boston College Biology Department

- setting read group ID to: ZKON5B26EGE
                          - setting sample name to: unknown
                          - setting sequencing technology to: 454

- parsing FASTQ file:
                          reads: 2,281,414 \ERROR: The number of qualities (45) do not match the number of bases (385) in 9IKNG:01351:01857.

Is everybody using newbler ? do you find the same problems of data inconsistency on the Ion Torrent fastq or bam/sam converted formats ?

Keep in touch and thanks in advance !

Alessandro
                          Hi, for ion torrent data, and de-novo assemblies - CLCworkbench, Newbler, Ray, Mira and CAP3 are very good assemblers. I have tried them all and they work very well.

Now for mapping assemblies against a reference - you can use CLCworkbench, Newbler and MIRA. Mira produce one consensus sequence concerning the reference assembly.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                          • seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                          0 responses