Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw counts of 12 column bed file (against multiple BAM)

Hello Everyone,

I am sharing a perl script to get raw read counts from mulitple BAM files, for a given bed file. The script requires bedtools and samtools to be preinstalled in the system.

I hope it is useful for users. An alternative solution exists in python
    (http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18182)
    Attached Files

thanks so much for ur script.
    But you didn't give the usage info.

I hv a .gtf file download from EMBL for D.mel now, should i convert it to .bed in advance?
    and the usage is?
    perl bed_count.pl annotated.bed dir_of_my_bamfiles tmpcount/ my.exon my.count

Comment

Dear Jason,

A much quicker solution is to

1. Convert GTF to BED. A nice script is found here http://ea-utils.googlecode.com/svn/t...lipper/gtf2bed

2. Convert the BED file to exon coordinates (BEDTools package).
      bed12toBed6 -i filename.bed > filename.exons

3. Get read counts from multiple BAM files (BEDTools package)
      multiBamCov -bams aln.1.bam aln.2.bam -bed filename.exons > filename.counts
      (Remember to build index of each BAM file using samtools index, else multiBamCov wont work)

4. Load the count file in R environment.

filename <- read.delim("filename.counts", header=FALSE,sep = "\t", stringsAsFactors =FALSE)

5. Sum the exons into gene counts using apply function in R
      input <- filename[,7:ncol(filename)]
      names <- filename$V4

filename.gene.count<-apply(input,2,function(x){tapply(x,names,function(y){sum(y)})})

6. Write the count file as a text file
      write.table(filename.gene.count, file = "filename.gene.count", quote = FALSE, row.names=FALSE, col.names=FALSE)

The order of the counts for samples will be the same order in which you give the BAM files. My previous script is easier to implement but little slower. If you open the script in a text editor you can give the name of the directory of BAM files and the BED file. Hope this helps.

Comment

Dear swaraj,

It helps me a lot. Thanks again^^
        But i hv encountered a now problem now when adopting the new solution. I hv got 23017 exons in total while 14797 genes are mapped to the genome by Tophat & Cufflinks. and 14797 is a proper count for fruit fly. I notice that ur solution use exon coordinates(FBtrxxxx instead of FBgnxxxxx).
        I am confused now. what else do i need to do to process the matrix of raw counts i just got before importing it into R packages like edgeR for DEG analysis?

Comment

In step 2 I coverted transcript BED file into exon file. Here the name of each exon is the transcript name which means transcript name is reduddant. In step 5 this same file is converted back into transcript file using R. All reads in exons with same transcript name are summed up. I would not go into using exon names. Just keep the same name (gene name or trasncript name) for each exon of a feature. This makes it quicker in R to sum the counts of all exons.

Comment

ya, i know and i do exactly as ur pipeline. might be i mixed the concept of exon and transcript. i thought they were the same thing.(both named "FBtrxxx")
            So, this is not the reason why i got almost twice counts of genes as i expected.
            Could you figure out any other reason? Thank you!

Comment

Or,
              what do i need to do to get raw counts for each gene?
              Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ARGONAUTE View Post
                Or,
                what do i need to do to get raw counts for each gene?
                Thank you!
                If you have a GTF file, just use htseq-count.

Comment

I hv tried htseq-count, really hard.
                  But it cannt be installed on our lab server.
                  Thank you all the same^^

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                    by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                    02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                  0 responses