Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nanopolish 1D

I am working on 1D minion data, albacore 2.0 called, and attempting to use nanopolish on canu derived contigs.
    I am trying to follow the github/readme files but find it hard.

Signal-level algorithms for MinION data. Contribute to jts/nanopolish development by creating an account on GitHub.

First I am under the impression nanopolish uses raw fast5 files in order to polish but the initial step requires indexing of fastq files (albaore 2.0 step)

Secondly for the mapping stage 'bwa mem...', the only options are for ont2d data.

When are the fast5 files used if they are?
    and how can I use nanopolish on 1D data?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by anotherSAM; 09-20-2017, 03:42 AM. Reason: typo

The 'ont2d' flag sets up BWA parameters to work for ONT data. It was named at a time when 2D data was similar accuracy to what 1D data is at the moment. You should be fine using Albacore 2.0-called reads with the stated workflow.

The indexing process links the Fast5 files to the FASTQ records. Nanopolish uses this index and the FAST5 files to correct the reads during the polishing step.

Comment

I've used minimap2 from Heng Li to map the long reads before polishing - it's much faster and gives similar results. Bwa with ont2d works as well, just somewhat slower.

Nanopolish has changed their workflow starting from version 0.8 - you now have to index the fastq file to the fast5 location, and it's much easier after this and uses far less space.

After this, fast5 files are used to generate the consensus.

Comment

Nanopolish also now includes methylation in its correction model, which (according to Ryan Wick) has brought the nanopore-only consensus accuracy up to q30 for a bacterial genome.

Comment

Originally posted by anotherSAM View Post
          I am working on 1D minion data, albacore 2.0 called, and attempting to use nanopolish on canu derived contigs.
          I am trying to follow the github/readme files but find it hard.

Signal-level algorithms for MinION data. Contribute to jts/nanopolish development by creating an account on GitHub.

First I am under the impression nanopolish uses raw fast5 files in order to polish but the initial step requires indexing of fastq files (albaore 2.0 step)
          Like an earlier user mentioned, the initial indexing step links each read in the fastq file with a fast5 record.

Prior to basecalling with albacore 2, you would use
          Code:
          nanopolish extract
          to make the fastq-to-fast5 links; nanopolish would extract the base-called fastq sequences from fast5 files and would I think add comments to each fastq read indicating which fast5 file it came from. Having the fastq string stored in the fast5 file can cause the latter to grow significantly; and once you extract the fastq strings they become redundant in the fast5 files, and you end up wasting system storage. The newer version of nanopolish has the
          Code:
          index
          subcommand that makes fastq-to-fast5 links so that using nanopolish might look like this:
          1. Run MinION without basecalling
          2. Call bases with albacore v2+ to fastq format
          3. Link fastq files to fast5 files with nanopolish index
          4. ... do additional stuff with nanopolish ...

Originally posted by anotherSAM View Post
          Secondly for the mapping stage 'bwa mem...', the only options are for ont2d data.

When are the fast5 files used if they are?
          and how can I use nanopolish on 1D data?

Thanks in advance
          I think that the fast5 files are used when you run the
          Code:
          nanopolish variants --consensus
          command. I think that you provide the fastq file as an argument, and nanopolish will check whether index files exist for those reads (usually same base filename with some new extension added), similar to the files generated by
          Code:
          bwa index
          . The index files provide an explicit filesystem mapping between each read in the fastq file and a fast5 file. I've never tried, but I think that nanopolish will fail if you move the fast5 files to another location in the filesystem after you've indexed the reads. If you did that, I think you'd have to re-index.

hope that helps

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
          • seqadmin
            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
          0 responses