SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to extract multi-mapped reads by samtools? mavishou RNA Sequencing 5 12-05-2016 05:27 AM
Comparing two BAM files using SAMtools khoops66 Bioinformatics 12 02-14-2012 07:06 PM
Extract perfectly mapped reads from SAM/BAM file Graham Etherington Bioinformatics 2 07-21-2011 07:27 AM
SAM/BAM how to retrieve all mapped reads ? Sylphide Bioinformatics 2 05-31-2011 06:57 AM
extract subset (mapped reads) from csfasta and .qual files KevinLam SOLiD 1 01-18-2010 12:38 AM

Old 08-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
fabrice

Default How to get mapped reads ID from bam files using samtools?

I produced the bam file using paire-end data.
I want to get the mapped (not care mate mapped or not) reads ID from a bam file. How can I do this?

Thanks.
fabrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
fabrice

Can I do like this?

java -jar /usr/local/bin/ViewSam.jar VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT INPUT=your_mapped_reads.sam ALIGNMENT_STATUS=Aligned PF_STATUS=All > your_Aligned_reads.sam
Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
fabrice

It seems that there is not a flag to set which reads mapped or not.
samtools view -f

6. In a string FLAG, each character represents one bit with
p=0x1 (paired), P=0x2 (properly paired), u=0x4 (unmapped),
U=0x8 (mate unmapped), r=0x10 (reverse), R=0x20 (mate reverse)
1=0x40 (first), 2=0x80 (second), s=0x100 (not primary),
f=0x200 (failure) and d=0x400 (duplicate). Note that `-x' and
`-X' are samtools-C specific. Picard and older samtools do not
support HEX or string flags.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
kmcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrice View Post
It seems that there is not a flag to set which reads mapped or not.
samtools view -f

6. In a string FLAG, each character represents one bit with
p=0x1 (paired), P=0x2 (properly paired), u=0x4 (unmapped),
U=0x8 (mate unmapped), r=0x10 (reverse), R=0x20 (mate reverse)
1=0x40 (first), 2=0x80 (second), s=0x100 (not primary),
f=0x200 (failure) and d=0x400 (duplicate). Note that `-x' and
`-X' are samtools-C specific. Picard and older samtools do not
support HEX or string flags.
There is a flag for unmapped though. If that bit flag is not set then the read is mapped. Instead of using the '-f' required flag parameter with samtools view use the '-F' filter flag parameter to remove unmapped reads.

Code:
# samtools view -F 4 -b -o <out.bam> <in.bam>
The out.bam file will contain only reads which mapped, regardless of whether their mates mapped or not.
kmcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
fabrice

kmcarr,
Thank you.
Yes. Now I can get the mapped reads.
I do not understand why the reads number from "samtools view -F 4" is different to the "samtools flagstat" report mapped number.
The number from "samtools view -F 4" is bigger.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
chenyao

I am not sure -F 4 will get mapped reads.

-F will skip alignments with bits present in INT,

4 is the unmapped reads?
chenyao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
kmcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenyao View Post
I am not sure -F 4 will get mapped reads.

-F will skip alignments with bits present in INT,

4 is the unmapped reads?
Yes, 4 (in decimal) or 0x0004 (in HEX) indicates that the query read is unmapped. If you use the filter option (-F 4) you will remove unmapped reads, hence the output will only contain mapped reads. By contrast if you use the required option (-f 4) you will only output unmapped reads.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
chenyao

It's a pair-end data, how about one read mapped and the other not. Did -F 4 will retain the mapped reads without considering mate? If so , how can I extract paired mapping reads?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
swbarnes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenyao View Post
It's a pair-end data, how about one read mapped and the other not. Did -F 4 will retain the mapped reads without considering mate? If so , how can I extract paired mapping reads?
-F 4 will get all mapped reads, regardless of what the mate looked like. When the 8 flag is present, the mate was unmapped. so -F 12 should get all reads where both ends mapped. -F 4 will get all the mapped reads, and since unmapped mates will have a 4, it won't get those.
swbarnes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
fabrice

For pair-end data, samtools flagstat how to count?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
swbarnes2

Quote:
For pair-end data, samtools flagstat how to count?
Flagstat will count a number of things, like how many reads there are total, how many aligned, how many aligned in proper pairs, etc.

If you want to count how many read have or don't have particular flags, the -c option in samtools view will just count reads, rather than outputting all the reads that meet the flagging requirements. Or, output them all with filters set in view, and do a wc -l to count the number of lines in the file. Adjust for headers, of course.
swbarnes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
fabrice

swbarnes2,

Thank you for your reply.

It seems my question is not clear.

I used samtools view -F 4, which give a number how many reads are mapped.

Then I used samtools flagstat, it also report a number how many reads are mapped. But in mu case, this two number is not equal. So I just wonder how samtools flagstat report a number is mapped. My mapped file is from eland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbarnes2 View Post
Flagstat will count a number of things, like how many reads there are total, how many aligned, how many aligned in proper pairs, etc.

If you want to count how many read have or don't have particular flags, the -c option in samtools view will just count reads, rather than outputting all the reads that meet the flagging requirements. Or, output them all with filters set in view, and do a wc -l to count the number of lines in the file. Adjust for headers, of course.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
kmcarr

Quote:
swbarnes2,

Thank you for your reply.

It seems my question is not clear.

I used samtools view -F 4, which give a number how many reads are mapped.

Then I used samtools flagstat, it also report a number how many reads are mapped. But in mu case, this two number is not equal. So I just wonder how samtools flagstat report a number is mapped. My mapped file is from eland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbarnes2 View Post

To be precise flagstat (or for that matter counting lines in a .sam file) is not counting reads, it is reporting how many alignments are in the file. If the parameters used for your mapping allowed for reporting multiple alignments per read then the numbers reported by flagstat (or #smtools view | wc -l) may be greater than the number of input reads.

This still does not explain the problem fabrice is having where he is seeing a larger number of alignments by counting the lines in his .sam file vs. what is reported by flagstat. I don't have an answer for that one, but I do have a question, what version of samtools are you using?
Old 08-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
fabrice

Thanks.

samtools is 0.1.17.

I expect that samtools flagstat will give bigger number than samtools view -F 4. But no, in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcarr View Post
To be precise flagstat (or for that matter counting lines in a .sam file) is not counting reads, it is reporting how many alignments are in the file. If the parameters used for your mapping allowed for reporting multiple alignments per read then the numbers reported by flagstat (or #smtools view | wc -l) may be greater than the number of input reads.

This still does not explain the problem fabrice is having where he is seeing a larger number of alignments by counting the lines in his .sam file vs. what is reported by flagstat. I don't have an answer for that one, but I do have a question, what version of samtools are you using?
Old 08-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
kmcarr

Quote:
Thanks.

samtools is 0.1.17.

I expect that samtools flagstat will give bigger number than samtools view -F 4. But no, in my case.
They should give the same number, and that is the case with the handful of bam files I have checked myself. Again the # reported for mapped with flagstat is not the number of reads which mapped but the number of alignments reported in the file. When output as a sam text file there is one line for each alignment which you count with wc -l. The numbers should be equal.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #16
chenyao

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcarr View Post
They should give the same number, and that is the case with the handful of bam files I have checked myself. Again the # reported for mapped with flagstat is not the number of reads which mapped but the number of alignments reported in the file. When output as a sam text file there is one line for each alignment which you count with wc -l. The numbers should be equal.
How can I get uniquely mapped reads? I konw I can use -q to get realiable reads, but I still want to know how many reads are unique not matter they are paired or not?