SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems with display in IGV keo General 4 02-02-2012 06:27 AM
IGV - Genome problems tonio100680 Bioinformatics 7 01-12-2012 08:09 AM
Problem with visualizing bigwig files... Help! anagari Bioinformatics 4 06-13-2011 11:10 AM
Problems displaying SAM file in IGV gavin.oliver Bioinformatics 14 10-07-2010 03:56 AM
Problems visualizing Mosaik alignment with Gambit josecolquitt Bioinformatics 1 05-25-2010 08:14 AM

Old 11-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Line

Default problems visualizing bam files in IGV

Hello,

I am aligning RNA-seq data using Bowtie and when I tried to visualize the bam file in IGV, everything is fine except that there are not reads in chrX and chrY. However I have coverage of these chrs because I use the same file for running Cufflinks and I get gene expression in those chrs. I have also checked the hg18.fa.fai which I used for indexing my bam file, and both chrs are included.

Have someone any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks
Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:45 AM   #2
Simon Anders

Check that the chromosome names are the same in your genome file (as displayed in the drop-down box that allows you to select the chromosome to display in IGV) and in your BAM file (check with 'samtools view'). If it is called, say, 'X' in IGV and 'chrX' in the BAM file, it won't work.

If the names don't match, or if the sex chromosomes are completely missing from the drop-down box, make a new genome file with the "Import Genome" function of IGV, using your genome FASTA file and a corresponding GTF file.
Simon Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
Line

Thanks,

I checked it and found that I needed to sort my .bam file and then indexing the sorted.bam file. Now is working!
Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #4
kaps

Dear all,
I have used bowtie2 to align paired – end illumina reads from cowpea and generated bam files. my next task is to visualise the alignments using igv. how do i proceed without a cowpea enome. My interest is to find out the proportion of reads a matching each of the virus hits.
I am working on a server.
kaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bam, chrx, igv rna-seq, index