SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DeNovoGear - Detecting denovo SNPs and INDELs in trios using NGS data. trackavinash Bioinformatics 2 01-09-2014 10:49 AM
DeNovoGear BCF parsing error swNGS Bioinformatics 14 03-27-2013 07:39 AM
Where is the denovogear output? ihelbig Bioinformatics 0 12-21-2012 12:11 PM

Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
Kath

Default FamSeq vs Polymutt vs DeNovoGear

Hi,

I would like to call variants jointly in a trio, taking pedigree info into account. I have heard of three tools for doing this - FamSeq (http://odin.mdacc.tmc.edu/~wwang7/FamSeqIndex.html), PolyMutt (http://genome.sph.umich.edu/wiki/Polymutt) and DeNovoGear (http://sourceforge.net/projects/denovogear/).

Has anyone used any of these and can they advise me on what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Has anyone used any other tools for this?

Thanks!

Kath
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Elsie

I've used FamSeq (piece of cake to use and helpful authors) and PolyMutt (again easy to use and helpful authors) but not DeNovoGear. FamSeq mainly just provides probabilities whereas PolyMutt does a bit more, more active filtering wherease Famseq provides the probabilities and expects you to filter. I have heard good things about DeNovoGear but never used it. The two I've used are fast and easy, give them a go and look at your results.
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
mmiossec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Has anyone used any other tools for this?
I would be interested to see an answer to this question. Ideally a tool that doesn't require another variant caller (SAMtools or GATK) to provide initial genotype predictions (as FamSeq and, to an extent, Polymutt, do).

Matt
mmiossec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
Len Trigg
Registered Vendor

While this post is a little old, it is worth noting that the joint Bayesian variant calling of RTG Core does directly incorporate pedigree information during the primary variant calling, right where it can have the most effect.

Pedigree post-processors (such as FamSeq, Polymutt, DeNovoGear) are probably fine for SNPs, but for more complex variants (where the hypothesis space is much larger) the caller has already made a pedigree-oblivious decision as to which potential alleles to output GLs for.
Len Trigg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
de novo mutations, sequencing, trio, variant calling