No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq Heatmaps

Hi,

Please could anyone tell me what information DESeq uses to produce heatmaps, if you follow the process in the vignette.... does it base the top 50 or however many included on p values or padJ values?

I did my analysis in a pairwise fashion using 2 replicates of 4 timepoints, so day 0 vs day 1, day 0 vs day3, etc etc etc, but the heatmaps I've produced with desq contain all 8 samples, so if it has used p-values of differential expression, where has it got this from when the p values all refer to just 2 samples at a time?

many thanks in advance for any advice/help!

from a novice deseq user!

Hello,
    In the vignette, the list of differentially expressed genes is selected by pval (unadjusted). The un-transformed and variance stabilized counts for all samples are then plotted in the heatmap. You need to 1) come up with a list of differentially expressed genes, sort genes by pval or foldChange 2) decide what samples you want to plot 3) pass the matrix of expression values/counts for samples into the heatmap function. You can plot raw counts, normalized counts, or variance stabilized counts (vignette explains how to compute all). Variance stabilized counts are usually the best to use for heatmaps. Each of your pairwise comparisons need to be performed separately. For each pairwise comparison I would 1) come up with a gene list 2) plot the expression values/counts for all the samples in a heatmap.
    Last edited by daiello; 06-15-2012, 07:37 AM.

Comment

thanks, I'll do that.

the one thing I still can't understand though is which set of p values would it have used on the heatmap it produced containing all 8 of the samples, when in reality there are 6 different sets of pvalues: D0vsD1, D0vsD3, D0vsD6, D1vsD3, D1vsD6 and D3vsD6... would it have chosen one of these lists of p values at random to select the top differentially expressed genes?

Thanks very much

Comment

Hello,
        The user specifies the gene list to plot in heatmap. The number of gene lists should be equal to the number of pairwise comparisons. Since you are dealing with time-series data you have a more complicated analysis to perform than what, I think, DESeq can handle. The type of analysis you perform depends on the question you are trying to answer. For example, I typically use DESeq to find genes that are statistically differentially expressed between two treatments. You have time-series data, so you are probably interested in what genes change the most over time? Maybe use DESeq to normalize your counts then conduct linear regression on each gene to find genes that change most over time. Also, look into multi-factored analysis with DESeq. I'm not sure but maybe this will help.
        -Dan

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses