Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by marcowanger View Post
    1> For now, I have assembled the content of the letter as the abstract.

3> Let's finalize the content before migrating to the Gdoc.

5> good work so far. We need to concentrate on the main text now.
    1) I find it confusing to have all the different versions in the wiki article. Could we merge the old long version, the other draft and the current version into a single one and remove the rest?

3+5) Can we try to separate the article into parts that different people work on. I think, the progress will be better and different people concentrate on specific aspects instead of adding things to the same thoughts already there.

Comment

• Originally posted by robs View Post
      1) I find it confusing to have all the different versions in the wiki article. Could we merge the old long version, the other draft and the current version into a single one and remove the rest?

3+5) Can we try to separate the article into parts that different people work on. I think, the progress will be better and different people concentrate on specific aspects instead of adding things to the same thoughts already there.
      I think we need to move to GDoc again since eventually this document will be exported and uploaded to the journal. We should start formatting the document, add a title page, etc. so it can be ready to go. Actually I am hoping this will happen quickly as editors expect submissions shortly after expressing interest. We should have something ready in the next week or two. We need to set a hard deadline and this will also help get things moving.

I also agree it would help to break the paper up a little and maybe include an extra section or two now that we have a little more space.

Your figures are great. I do agree with others that it might look better to remove the raw data points. Other than that they are awesome.

Comment

In an earlier post, I mentioned that I wrote the Editor of PLoS CB and he seemed to be interested. I could ask him again to take a look at the current version.
        Thanks. Please let him know we submitted it at "Nov 24 2011 12:19PM"

The status as displayed in the system is "Submission being processed"
        Marco

Comment

1) Maybe just moving them further away from the current draft? I think it's good to keep track of what we have written. And the changes between versions.

3+5) Breaking the article into different sections is good. Sometimes it is not a bad idea to have all people to work on the same thing. Just give and take. The finalized version probably is a consensus to "almost" everyone, language tends to be more polished...And the bad, slower progress...
          Marco

Comment

1) Maybe just moving them further away from the current draft? I think it's good to keep track of what we have written. And the changes between versions.

3+5) Breaking the article into different sections is good. Sometimes it is not a bad idea to have all people to work on the same thing. Just give and take. The finalized version probably is a consensus to "almost" everyone, language tends to be more polished...And the bad, slower progress...
            What is the final deadline we will give the journals before we pick one?

Comment

• Originally posted by genericforms View Post
              What is the final deadline we will give the journals before we pick one?
              I think as we have finalized the perspectives/community pages. We should have known. I bet we cannot finish in 7 working days (counting from the day we submit the inquiry) . If they don't reply within a week (count working day). Then we have every reason to believe they are not interested.
              Marco

Comment

I think as we have finalized the perspectives/community pages. We should have known. I bet we cannot finish in 7 working days (counting from the day we submit the inquiry) . If they don't reply within a week (count working day). Then we have every reason to believe they are not interested.
                So I would say we that we should make a final decision no later than next Friday. Knowing the journal will help us also put finishing touches and finalize the paper as well as format it.

Comment

I think that if we have people work on different parts initially, they will be more detailed. After that, everyone should edit those.

Comment

So I would say we that we should make a final decision no later than next Friday. Knowing the journal will help us also put finishing touches and finalize the paper as well as format it.
                    Does the submission go through review or is it solely the decision of the editor?

Comment

• Rob, it is still peer-reviewed. So really there is almost no point to query the editor unless you are concerned the article is completely inappropriate for the journal. The most you can hope to get is "this article will not be immediately rejected..."

If we are lucky sometimes we get a few extra tips on how to get the article in... like with the Genome Medicine editor who gave us some good advice...

Comment

Rob, it is still peer-reviewed. So really there is almost no point to query the editor unless you are concerned the article is completely inappropriate for the journal. The most you can hope to get is "this article will not be immediately rejected..."

If we are lucky sometimes we get a few extra tips on how to get the article in... like with the Genome Medicine editor who gave us some good advice...
                        That is good, what specific advice Genome Med editor told us? Maybe I have forgotten them already
                        Marco

Comment

I think that if we have people work on different parts initially, they will be more detailed. After that, everyone should edit those.
                          ++++ that is okay
                          Marco

Comment

• I moved away the older drafts to a new linked page. It will make it clearer so prople are working on the correct draft. I also added Marco's suggestions to the meta-discussion.

I have not been so involved in the latest draft but I willing to help to expand the text to fit longer format. It is probably a good idea to split the text in different parts and let someone to take the lead.

Comment

• Let's set some deadlines to make sure this gets done. I proposed picking a journal by this Friday so that we could have final focus and formatting details. I think we should also this week outline whatever changes we need to make and assign these to people.

Comment

• outline

I think what is needed is a solid outline for the entire report since its proposed content has shifted quite significantly away from that of a brief letter (see beginning of this thread). Especially in view of incorporating a "case study" orientation as the approach to differentiating the forum from the Wiki.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                                0 responses