Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastqc Per sequence quality scores - Two peaks?

Hi,

I am struggling to find possible explanations for seeing two distinct peaks in my "per sequence quality scores". I am very new to this, so hope it's not a very silly question. As far as I understand it should not be a major concern, however I would like to understand why this is.

There is also two peaks for GC content in sequences, with very low adapter content at the end of reads.

Sanger/Illumina 1.9 encoding
    The sequence data is from an unknown clinical sample from hospital, for the purpose of identifying possible pathogens.

Kind regards,
    Wilro
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wilro; 05-20-2017, 03:12 AM. Reason: Added information

I wouldn't worry about the two peaks in the per sequence quality scores although it looks a bit unusual.

Are the reads all the same length if it is Illumina data, or have they already been trimmed by the sequencing center?

The per sequence GC content is more important, and could indicate contamination, but if you are expecting pathogens in the sample, then it could indicate a mixture of human genome and pathogen genomes perhaps.

Comment

Reads are all the same length and have not yet been trimmed. Downstream analysis of the data revealed multiple pathogen blast matches, as well as contigs matching to human reference genomes. So your explanation would make perfect sense.

Thanks for your quick reply

Comment

I was about to post on exactly the same topic - I've got two peaks, one quite sharp in the GC content across all 12 samples in an experiment. As best I can tell from googling is that contamination is a likely cause.

The group that sequenced the samples for us though suggest that it may have been caused by the rRNA depletion step on initially poor quality RNA (our samples were borderline, quality -wise going into this). I'm wondering how likely others might think this to be? Or how that would work?

It's also been suggested that I map the RNA back to the Grch38 and filter, retaining only reads that map back to known genes. Which strikes me as ... dubious, given that if it is contamination, I don't know what the contaminant is.

Also, if it is contamination, how does one deal with that bioinformatically? Obviously it's going to reduce the validity of any results coming out the other end, but it'd be nice to not have to right off the whole thing.

Comment

GC content double peak in RNA-seq does not automatically imply contamination and it is common. Contamination or residual rRNA presence can be checked by BLAST or mapping. Posting the whole FastQC plots will be useful to diagnose any potential issues.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses