Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor R3 (35bp) mapping

Is there anyone having problems with the F5 tags on Solid 4? Our two last lots gave us very poor mapping (28-50%), as compared to 75-85% for the F3 tags. ABI reps said that it could be a problem with the cleave solution, but a new lot, supposedly good, did not solve the problem. I wonder if this a localized or widespread problem.
    Thanks.
    Bosco
    Last edited by boscoliveira; 03-03-2011, 02:51 PM. Reason: Had R3 instead of F5

We were told the same thing when we collected poor F5 paired-end data. We were sent new strip tubes for the F5 tag and a new lot of cleave 2.1 but the problem persists.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. They checked our cleave 2.1 and said the lots were ok, the same for the F5 tags, but the data was just as bad. How bad is your F5 mapping?

Comment

The F5 is only mapping about 40%. According to AB, 40-50% is the best they have observed for the F5 read.

Comment

We have had pretty low mapping rates for F5 tags, around 25-30%.

Comment

I'll agree that the F5 reads tend to be poor but since they are "free" we often run with them. I have seen lows near 20% and as high as 52% for F5 mapping.

R3 is a different matter. It should be within several percentage points of your F3 mapping. Our last F3/R3 run had mappings of 68.73% and 71.09% -- this was to a 10M year or so diverged species.

Comment

Sorry, I meant F5 tags, not R3. So I guess our data is comparable to what you have seen.
              Thanks.

Comment

I am pretty sure what we are talking about here are differences in the maturity of the 3' and the 5' ligation chemistry. I think the 5' chemistry is about where the 3' chemistry was with v2.

If you look at other threads on this topic, increasing numbers of FAM calls in later cycles are a complaint. But this would just be signal droop, right? As fewer templates strands are available for extension in each cycle, signal/bead drops to the point where residual background signal painting a bead gets called as the color. Speculation on my part, of course.

Anyway, mapping rates back in the 25-35 nt, v2 chemistry, tag length days was in the 20-50% range, wasn't it? I guess I could check.

Okay, I looked at an old chicken mate pair run with 25 bp tags from February 2009. That was v2 chemistry. We got 67% mapping with F3 reads and 71% with R3 reads. Chicken is a lot easier to map to than the human genome -- much lower repeat content because it is only 1 gigabase, compared to 3 gigabases for the human genome. Still, I would have to say that current 5' ligation (F5) chemistry is generating reads of a lower quality than seen for 3' ligation chemistry under v2. So it is not v2 quality, it is v1 quality.

--
                Phillip

Comment

Pretty much ditto with pmiguel. I was told F5 needs some time to get up to speed with F3 in terms of mapping.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses