No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half reactions for NexteraXT

Howdy all,

Wondering if anyone has had any success running "half reactions" of NexteraXT libraries or otherwise stretching those reagents? At the end of the library cleanup, if memory serves you only carry a little more than half of the reaction into bead based balancing. The bulk of our sequencing cost is in the actual library preparation steps, so cutting that in half is a tempting experiment but it would involve pipetting some very small volumes (0.5 ul). Does anyone have any experience with trying this?

Best,
    docbio

I've also thought about this. However, I think it's fine as is, since, as you already mentioned, you would need to pipet very small volumes. Additionally, I like to use the left-over of the library clean-up to do some QC (although you need only a few µls for that).

Comment

The Fluidigm C1 which is single cell cDNA uses 1/4 reactions so I believe it is tied to DNA/cDNA quantity. The only change in the 1/4 reaction is the first PCR step is 10 min instead of 5 min. I assume that is to give the tagmentation better working conditions since the volumes are so small.

Then we just use Tape Station to normalize the samples.

Comment

Originally posted by kwaraska View Post
        The Fluidigm C1 which is single cell cDNA uses 1/4 reactions so I believe it is tied to DNA/cDNA quantity. The only change in the 1/4 reaction is the first PCR step is 10 min instead of 5 min. I assume that is to give the tagmentation better working conditions since the volumes are so small.

Then we just use Tape Station to normalize the samples.
        Interesting. This is useful info, I'm assuming the Fluidigm C1 protocol is online? I'm sure the concentration of DNA is critical to the tagmentation reaction. If we could move to half reactions it would save a lot of money. The only trick would be consistency. When we're normalizing for HiSeq (not going through bead based) the concentration of the finished libraries can vary somewhat.

Tape Station looks interesting. We're using Qubit or Quant-IT at the moment.

Best,
        docbio

Comment

FYI, just as a follow up, we found that half reactions and even one quarter reactions work very well with NexteraXT in our hands, although the one quarter reaction size requires very precise pipetting that is only really amenable to individual pipetting instead of using a multichannel. We've stuck with half reactions and have great success in cutting costs while churning out good sequence data.

docbio

Comment

if you are interested in making your own Tn5, you could take a look at our most recent paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25079858
            The plasmid is available from Addgene (ID 60240). Making the other reagents is really a piece of cake. The only thing we still buy from Illumina are the index oligos...and we dilute them 1:5! For inputs <1 ng DNA that amount is more than enough!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses