No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie2 insert size=0

Hi,
    I used dwgsim to create simulated read pairs.
    Then, I aligned these read pairs to the reference genome with Bowtie2.
    I obtained 5063956 reads pairs with insert size =0
    Code:
    samtools view file.bam | awk '{ if ( $9 ==0){print $0;} }' | wc -l

What does it means?

IGV uses color coding to flag anomalous insert sizes. When I look these read pairs with insert size=0, it appear in grey. In IGV grey is for inserts that are like than expected.

This the flagstat result (file.bam):
    10022022 + 0 in total (QC-passed reads + QC-failed reads)
    0 + 0 duplicates
    9979404 + 0 mapped (99.57%:-nan%)
    10022022 + 0 paired in sequencing
    5011011 + 0 read1
    5011011 + 0 read2
    4958066 + 0 properly paired (49.47%:-nan%)
    8789364 + 0 with itself and mate mapped
    1190040 + 0 singletons (11.87%:-nan%)
    0 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr
    0 + 0 with mate mapped to a different chr (mapQ>=5)

This is the results I obtain according to the insert size column (file.bam):
    Mapped in correct orientation and within insert size (i.e properly paired) : 4958066
    Mapped uniquely but wrong insert size : 3831298
    Both unmapped : 38188
    One of the mate is unmapped : 1194470
    Mapped within the insert size but wrong orientation: 0

I notice that 3831298+38188+1194470=5063956, it correspond reads pairs with insert size =zero

Someone can help me?

So ... what is your question? You answered why you came up with 5063956 zero insert size reads -- they correspond to reads that (a) Mapped uniquely but wrong insert size, (b)Both unmapped or (c) One of the mate is unmapped. Are you expecting a different value than 0 in that insert size field? The sam/bam manual says:

TLEN: signed observed Template LENgth. If all segments are mapped to the same reference, the
    unsigned observed template length equals the number of bases from the leftmost mapped base
    to the rightmost mapped base. The leftmost segment has a plus sign and the rightmost has a
    minus sign. The sign of segments in the middle is undefined. It is set as 0 for single-segment
    template or when the information is unavailable.

Comment

Thanks for your response. My question was, is it possible to have read pairs with insert size=0? and how it is possible.
      The insert size expected is about 560 pb.

According to the sam/bam manual "It is set as 0 for single-segment template or when the information is unavailable." So it would like to say that for a couple of reads, insert size can be zero because one read mapp and the other not (i.e One of the mate is unmapped) or because the information is unavailable.

According to my analyse, zero insert size reads corresponds to reads that (a) Mapped uniquely but wrong insert size, (b)Both unmapped AND (c) One of the mate is unmapped.

It's actually not clear to me how to interpret such a situation and why Bowtie2 produces this kind of paired alignments

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
        Yesterday, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses