Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making sense of tophat output "align_summary.txt"

I run tophat2 with “-g 20" on some data. As a result, the "align_summary.txt" says
    Reads:
    Input: 92302015
    Mapped: 79916185 (86.6% of input)
    of these: 17726355 (22.2%) have multiple alignments (22103 have >20)
    86.6% overall read alignment rate.
    Then I run some manual checking on the numbers by using samtools on the output "accepted_hits.bam" and "unmapped.bam". I tried
    Code:
    samtools view unmapped.bam | wc -l
    Result is 12385846, looks close enough, although not perfect (12385846 + 79916185 = 92302031).

Then I tried command (a)
    Code:
    samtools view -f 256 accepted_hits.bam | wc -l
    Result is 15255480

I also tried command (b)
    Code:
    samtools view -f 256 accepted_hits.bam | cut -f1 | sort | uniq | wc -l
    Result is 13013262

My understanding about tophat's behavior is that when there are multiple equally good hits, it will randomly pick one hit as "best", and all other hits will be assigned the 256 bit flag (secondary hits). So presumably, if the number 17726355 in "align_summary.txt" is the number of reads, then it should be similar to the result of (b). Or if 17726355 in "align_summary.txt" is the number of hits, it should be at least 2 times the result of (a). But none of my two guesses are correct.

So my question is, what exactly does the number 17726355 means.

Please let me know if I missed anything. Thanks all for any comments or suggestions!

jianrong

Originally posted by yangjr View Post
    I run tophat2 with “-g 20" on some data. As a result, the "align_summary.txt" says

Then I run some manual checking on the numbers by using samtools on the output "accepted_hits.bam" and "unmapped.bam". I tried
    Code:
    samtools view unmapped.bam | wc -l
    Result is 12385846, looks close enough, although not perfect (12385846 + 79916185 = 92302031).

Then I tried command (a)
    Code:
    samtools view -f 256 accepted_hits.bam | wc -l
    Result is 15255480

I also tried command (b)
    Code:
    samtools view -f 256 accepted_hits.bam | cut -f1 | sort | uniq | wc -l
    Result is 13013262

My understanding about tophat's behavior is that when there are multiple equally good hits, it will randomly pick one hit as "best", and all other hits will be assigned the 256 bit flag (secondary hits). So presumably, if the number 17726355 in "align_summary.txt" is the number of reads, then it should be similar to the result of (b). Or if 17726355 in "align_summary.txt" is the number of hits, it should be at least 2 times the result of (a). But none of my two guesses are correct.

So my question is, what exactly does the number 17726355 means.

Please let me know if I missed anything. Thanks all for any comments or suggestions!

jianrong
    Did you get the answer?

Comment

in my case, que I run

samtools view accepted_hits.bam | cut -f1 | sort | uniq | wc -l

without the -f 256, the number of reads matches the number stated at align_summary.txt.

What doesn't make sense to me is the multiple mapping reads, since align_summary.txt number does not coincide with NH:i (>1) nor MAPQ counts.

Comment

Hi Guys,
        Is that the output for a paired end alignment?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses