SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

View Poll Results: Is illumina acting Fairly?
Yes 18 60.00%
NO 9 30.00%
Not Sure 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Improved Protocols for the Illumina Genome Analyzer Sequencing System Chien-Yuan Chen Literature Watch 3 12-24-2014 01:46 PM
Illumina iScan System Available For Sale. kcacdna Illumina/Solexa 0 08-23-2013 06:04 AM
how to transfer sanger fastQ into illumina FastQ sunsnow86 Bioinformatics 3 06-17-2011 02:21 PM
NGS data transfer gavin.oliver General 5 01-13-2010 11:54 PM
PubMed: A large genome center's improvements to the Illumina sequencing system. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 11-27-2008 05:00 AM

Old 02-18-2016, 12:39 AM   #41
dannyhi321

Question

UPDATE:- I’ve been informed that “The current status this afternoon is that the formal response is still in preparation however I have been advised that you can expect to receive the formal response in the next two days. I understand the urgency from your perspective however Technical Support will not be able to assist you at this moment in time in providing answers to your questions.”

So the answer is is not yes or no at this time!

Anyone else having/had problems accessing their data via Basespace? and/or moving instruments? Or is this a “one-off” issue?

Thank you to all the people who have offered their support and help in trying to resolve this. Lets hope the outcome is a positive one.

Dan Densham
Devon, UK
dannyhi321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:35 AM   #42
NextGenSeq

Illumina has extortionate prices?

Shocking!
NextGenSeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:54 AM   #43
dannyhi321

Exclamation

If anyone needs to contact me about any issues raised within this thread you can email me directly on:

[email protected]

Thanks,

Dan Densham
Devon, UK

Last edited by dannyhi321; 04-21-2016 at 09:29 AM. Reason: correct contact
Old 02-22-2016, 03:18 AM   #44
dannyhi321

Exclamation

UPDATE:-

So Illumina have resorted to legal threats (more on this later) and have completely ignored my requested to relinquish access to 2 years worth of my Miseq data stored on Basespace - not to mention the fact that they appear to have deleted data from the hard discs on of both machines!!

Urgent Notice :- If you have had samples sequenced on Miseq(s) at the Waite campus, University of Adelaide/AGRF between 2012 and dec 2014, please contact me as a matter of urgency as you have used such services without the permission/consent of the owner. I am not an unreasonable person but you do need to contact me if you are a just person so that I know what has been going on with my systems and you can clear issues over the data.

Thanks,

Dan

[email protected]

Last edited by dannyhi321; 04-21-2016 at 09:30 AM. Reason: correct contact
Old 02-22-2016, 03:36 AM   #45
GenoMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhi321 View Post
So Illumina have resorted to legal threats (more on this later) and have completely ignored my requested to relinquish access to 2 years worth of my Miseq data stored on Basespace - not to mention the fact that they appear to have deleted data from the hard discs on of both machines!!
I don't think Illumina deleted the data (in a strict sense) from the hard discs. There is only so much space on the local MiSeq disk and at some point the data has to be deleted manually (or in some automatic fashion, we don't use BaseSpace so I can't say if this is done based on some pre-set level of % free disk on the MiSeq) to make room for new runs. This decision was done by whoever ran the instrument for you in its former location.

I am surprised that there was no local/alternate backup for the data (again the person who ran this instrument before needs to bear some responsibility with the assumption that you had left the management of the instrument up to them).

Last edited by GenoMax; 02-22-2016 at 11:07 AM.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #46
dannyhi321

Exclamation

Yes - it was not JUST Illumina - but Illumina can help sort the situation out.

So now Illumina have "lost the keys", so to speak, to my Miseq data and just because I gave someone the benefit of the doubt AFTER tech support said they where just "linking" the databases!! :- oh lets be precise -) we don't want the forum shut down or something) - they have not answered the question of the data, they ignored it and threatened me for being nice to someone on this forum.

Come nice people in Adelaide - tell me what's going on!

[email protected]

Dan

Last edited by dannyhi321; 04-21-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #47
Jessica_L

I've never had issues with basespace deleting data as a result of % disk space used, but I've never worried about hitting an upper cap on data storage, either.

There are issues, possibly, around run ownership and permissions (i.e. if I start the run on the instrument and give the machine my basespace account info, I'm the "owner" of the run and can share it or transfer ownership to other people/collaborators). If the MiSeqs were/are run by other personnel, the OP may not have access to the data on basespace if he's not the owner.

I can't say more without additional information. I've never heard of Illumina locking people out of their basespace data though, and I worked for a company that was on the verge of bankruptcy at one point and was very bad at paying their bills. Even then, Illumina did not hold any of our data hostage.
Jessica_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #48
GenoMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_L View Post
I've never had issues with basespace deleting data as a result of % disk space used, but I've never worried about hitting an upper cap on data storage, either.
My reference was to data being deleted from local MiSeq disk (% space used). I have edited my post above to reflect this clearly.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #49
gabrieltw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhi321 View Post
Yes - it was not JUST Illumina - but Illumina can help sort the situation out.

So now Illumina have "lost the keys", so to speak, to my Miseq data and just because I gave someone the benefit of the doubt AFTER tech support said they where just "linking" the databases!! :- oh lets be precise -) we don't want the forum shut down or something) - they have not answered the question of the data, they ignored it and threatened me for being nice to someone on this forum.

Come nice people in Adelaide - tell me what's going on!

[email protected]

Dan
Basespace account is not tied to any particular MiSeq as far as I know.

If you are the owner of the basespace account, you should have no issue accessing data that is stored on basespace even if you have no access to the MiSeqs at the moment.

If those runs are not done under your basespace account, you could easily ask whoever did those runs to share/transfer data over to your basespace account. If they did not choose to upload it to basespace and local data were deleted, I am not sure how you would be able to get those data back. I doubt illumina could if its not on the cloud storage.

Who were those people that are "linking database ? Illumina ? If so, what does that have to do with "people in Adelaide" ?

linking what database ? Basespace ?

Lastly, I highly doubt they will "shutdown the forum". This site doesn't belong to Illumina.

Last edited by gabrieltw; 02-22-2016 at 12:01 PM.
gabrieltw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #50
Jessica_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoMax View Post
My reference was to data being deleted from local MiSeq disk (% space used). I have edited my post above to reflect this clearly.
Oh, understood. Sorry. Still, Basespace doesn't have the functionality to do that. Not that I've ever seen, anyway. When I ran up against D and E temp drive storage limits on GAs and HiSeqs, the run usually paused until you freed up space-- the software has never, in my experience anyway, deleted any files or data without user intervention (not including the automatic cleanup of intermediate files that are generated/analyzed as part of RTA, such as images, intensity extractions, and bcl files).
Jessica_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #51
alexhaj

so did you ever move these instruments to uk?
alexhaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illumina extortionate