Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding date stamp to standard

I did a search and I didn't find anybody discussing this so I am posting it here for first time.

Why datestamp has not been added to the FASTQ standard format? its causing me alot of headache because I have to always go back to pipeline to figure out when a run was done.

Thanks for any input, who should be answering this question?

i.e.

@EAS999_38:6:1:1377:1017/1

adding datestamp

@EAS999:12:54:40:11:10:11_38:6:1:1377:1017/1
    yes, its useful.
    0.00%
    yes, its useful but ...
    0.00%
    its irrelevant.
    100.00%
    No, its not useful.
    0.00%
    I don't mind this poll.
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

What makes you think that the 'seqname' in a FastQ format is anywhere near a standard? As far as I know that FastQ standard is:

@seqname
    sequence
    +seqname [ the seqname is optional]
    encoded_quality

'seqname' can be whatever someone want to put there. Thus I voted 'irrelevant' because what you are asking is, well, irrelevant and nonsensical. Feel free to change your 'seqname's to whatever you want because it does not affect the FastQ specification.

Now if you want to make a poll that we should demand that Illumina add a date to their 'seqname' ... well, that is a different matter. I doubt if Illumina would listen to us but we could try. They've certainly deviated from the Sanger-based FastQ format in the past -- e.g., quality encoding.

And I should add to Illumina's "crime" that of changing the 'seqname' in their recent version of CASAVA. The lack of paired end information in the 'seqname' broke almost every 3rd party software.
    Last edited by westerman; 11-10-2011, 12:34 PM. Reason: Added Illumina's recent 'crime' :-)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses