SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two peaks on FastQC plot "Per sequence GC content" Tommyliu Illumina/Solexa 20 12-30-2017 08:27 AM
Strange FastQC "Per base sequence content report" tu.le Bioinformatics 10 12-23-2013 04:09 PM
What might cause the "Sequence Duplication Levels" failures in FastQC report? elrohir610 Bioinformatics 6 05-07-2012 09:38 PM
fastqc sequence duplication level fadista Bioinformatics 4 01-11-2012 09:17 AM
FastQC "Per Base Sequence Content": systematic deviation at 3' end of reads d f Illumina/Solexa 4 09-28-2010 09:46 AM

Old 05-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

Default How to calculate number of unique reads from FastQC "sequence duplication level"

I wondering if there is any formula to estimate number of unique reads from FastQC Sequence Duplication Level output. For instance, in a set of 1M reads with 80% sequence duplication level what would be the estimated minimum and maximum of unique reads?
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

It would seem that the answer is 200,000 unique reads, but I don't know for sure.

You could download BBTools and run "dedupe.sh" on the dataset to get an exact number:

dedupe.sh in=reads.fq out=clean.fq

It works on single-ended or paired reads; for paired it only declares them duplicates if both reads match. Also, it supports variable #edits or substitutions, if you want, though by default it just looks for exact matches.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:45 AM   #3
mastal

Interpreting the FastQC duplication level plots is actually quite complicated.

See Simon Andrews' blog posts about this:

http://proteo.me.uk/2013/09/a-new-wa...-fastqc-v0-11/

http://proteo.me.uk/2011/05/interpre...lot-in-fastqc/
mastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

Thanks Brian and mastal for your comments and suggestions. I am only interested to know the number of unique reads from sequencing my libraries and I am reluctant to use any other tool since I get FastQC with other useful information. I wonder if someone could comment if a formula like this one: "(1-Sequence Duplication level%) x total number of reads= # of unique reads" will give correct answer or should some coefficients be factored in the formula.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

What I meant was, you can just run dedupe once on one dataset to confirm that the formula "(1-Sequence Duplication level%) x total number of reads= # of unique reads" is correct, or possibly derive a different formula, then go back to using FastQC. Dedupe prints the exact number (and percent) of duplicates.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote