Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consider dovetail pairs as concordant pairs?

Hi, all

Recently I have a paired-end data from Illumina/Solexa sequencing machine. My sequencing DNA fragments are about 100-300 bp, and my read length is 125 bp for one end of the pairs. My question is, if the dovetail pairs are general in my data? Do I need to consider these pairs as concordant pairs in the Bowtie2 alignment?

I have tried to specify "--dovetail" parameter in Bowtie2, and it has 10% more concordant pairs in the alignment compared to the results without "--dovetail".

Without "--dovetail":
    Code:
    30047395 reads; of these:
      30047395 (100.00%) were paired; of these:
        7364630 (24.51%) aligned concordantly 0 times
        18847070 (62.72%) aligned concordantly exactly 1 time
        3835695 (12.77%) aligned concordantly >1 times
    75.49% overall alignment rate
    With "--dovetail":
    Code:
    30047395 reads; of these:
      30047395 (100.00%) were paired; of these:
        4190935 (13.95%) aligned concordantly 0 times
        21610905 (71.92%) aligned concordantly exactly 1 time
        4245555 (14.13%) aligned concordantly >1 times
    86.05% overall alignment rate
    Hope to receive your suggestions, thanks.
    wisense

Originally posted by wisense View Post
    My question is, if the dovetail pairs are general in my data? Do I need to consider these pairs as concordant pairs in the Bowtie2 alignment?
    Have you done any adapter trimming? Alignment of full-length reads is likely to result in soft clipped dovetailing reads. Since a significant portion of your library contains fragments shorter than the read length, dovetailing fragments are not unexpected. What you should do with them depends on your pipeline and analysis intent, but yes it is likely that the dovetailing reads originated from fragments shorter than the read length.

Be aware that the untrimmed reads can overalign due to microhomology between the adapter and the reference at the alignment position thus resulting in reads that appear to have the incorrect orientation (which for structural variant calling, could be a big issue).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses