Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V4-V5 Region Using 2x250 - Enough Overlap?

Hi All,

We've been looking at the V4 region (515/806) in environmental samples for some time successfully. We'd like to move to the V4-V5 region using the 515/926 primers. That would result in a larger amplicon (~411 not including primer/barcode sequences).

Our sequencing provider runs 2x250 regularly but 2x300 only sporadically so the cost would be significantly more unless we have lots of samples. Does anybody have experience using 2x250 with this region? Will there be enough overlap of the paired reads to assemble?

Thanks for any insight!

I think the critical factor is that at a cluster density where you produce the most sequence (even the most Q30 bases), the quality of single-plex amplicon runs deteriorates badly over the last 50 bases of a 250 cycle read. Whereas if you keep the density much lower--such that you may only generate 10 million or fewer clusters--the quality can be high all the way to the ends of the reads.

At these lower cluster densities we see pair merging occurring successfully at rate approaching 90% even with 450bp inserts.

600 cycle cassette? I don't know, is anyone getting reasonable 300 base reads with those?

--
    Phillip

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks! This helps a lot. We're discussing with our service provider and will be doing some test runs to evaluate the data.

Comment

I wouldn't move to the longer region on the 2x250 kit. Allegedly the 2x300 is better in the past ~year but I haven't tested it out so continue offering amplicons that are <300bp long.
        Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses