No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Software

Hello,

within the next months we want to start our own runs with the MinION.
    What output format is generated by MinION-sequencing?

Anyway, what I'm really interested in is what Software-pipelines you guys use and what you can recommend for denovo Assembly, Alignment, (differential)gene-expression, snp/indel detection?

I already found this list: http://bioinformaticsonline.com/blog...-data-analysis

Both the command-line program ONT provides for basecalling (Albacore) and the GUI Client that does sequencing and optionally basecalling (MinKNOW) can now output fastq files directly, no need to extract them from the fast5 files. The fast5 extraction was necessary about a year ago.

Comment

That's great.

Now how about the further software pipeline.
      Any recommendations for denovo Assembly, Alignment, (differential)gene-expression, snp/indel detection?

Comment

I can tell you what I use, but it's unlikely to be what other people prefer, because there's a lot of manual computational legwork involved.

De-novo Assembly -- Canu. Flye and MARVEL sound promising, but I've yet to test them out.

Alignment -- minimap2 and/or LAST, depending on the application. LAST is particularly good at quickly picking up duplicated adapters in chimeric reads; I combine the output of LAST with my work-in-progress maf_bcsplit script to make results a bit easier to understand (it parses the MAF format produced by LAST into one-line-per match statistics like start/end/mapped percent).

Differential gene expression -- count transcripts directly via mapping with minimap2, use DESeq2 for differential expression tests. Kallisto/Sleuth may work as well, but possibly not given that I didn't have great results when using Salmon for gene counting based on minimap2-mapped transcripts.

SNP/INDEL detection -- I currently use samtools mpileup in combination with my own readstomper script to get base-level genotype frequencies. I'd like to look into doing a read-level haplotyping analysis, or at least multi-genotype (e.g. see this paper, or this paper), but have yet to try that. For mapping to known strains / genomes, Centrifuge should work; I think it's what ONT uses now for their What's In My Pot analysis tool.
        Last edited by gringer; 02-05-2018, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Thank you.
          I hope our MinION arrives this month, then I will use your recommended Software and see if the output satisfies me :-)

Comment

Update:

We sequenced some genomes so far (rapid sequencing Kit - SQK-RAD004) and the software we are using successfully on Ubuntu 18.04 is:

albacore - for basecalling (of course)
            porechop - to trim adapters
            canu - for assembly
            nucmer - to find overlapping trimming points if the genome is circular
            minimap2 - for alignment
            samtools - for sorting and indexing the bam files from minimap2
            nanopolish - for assembly polishing
            pilon - for hybrid assembly polishing
            Until now we haven't tried SNP/INDEL detection or differential gene expression.

So your recommended software works quite good and we are happy with it so far.

Thank You again !
            Last edited by iltisanni; 07-18-2018, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
            • seqadmin
              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
            0 responses