No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATAC-seq protocol

Hi everyone,

I am planning to use ATAC-seq with my samples. But I can not find a detailed protocol in their nature method paper. Also there is no response in ATAC forum. I can not get permission. I do not know why. Does anyone have the protocol for ATAC-seq with more detail? Thank you so much.

Hi wen yuan,
    Attached is what I got from the authors, or someone from their lab. I'm also waiting for permission to their forum, let's see...
    Hope it helps
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jubs,

Thank you so much. Thanks.

Originally posted by Jubs View Post
      Hi wen yuan,
      Attached is what I got from the authors, or someone from their lab. I'm also waiting for permission to their forum, let's see...
      Hope it helps

Comment

Hi,
        I just downloaded the protocol and is wondering if anyone here has tested it using the Nextera DNA or XT kit? Does it make a difference?
        Since there is no size selection before sequencing how do is the final concentration being estimated?

Comment

Duplicate reads in ATACseq

We have run ATACseq on HDFs (100.000 cells) and after paired-end seq on HiSeq2000 (fast run) we get loads of duplicate reads; in fact we loose between 50-90% from the raw reads. Anybody experienced this? Moreover, is paired-end seq really neccessary?

Comment

We have now run 3 separate ATAC-seq experiments on HDFs, at 50000 cells per sample, trying two different methods. We get 50-90% duplicate reads from FASTQC. Additionally, we also see high variability in peak intensity between different samples. Anyone experienced something similar?

Comment

Originally posted by Wonghe View Post
              Hi,
              I just downloaded the protocol and is wondering if anyone here has tested it using the Nextera DNA or XT kit? Does it make a difference?
              Since there is no size selection before sequencing how do is the final concentration being estimated?
              I've only used the regular Nextera DNA kit (FC-121-1030) and it works just fine. I don't think you should use the XT kit since it is more expensive.

You'll need to estimate the concentration using a qPCR. We use the KAPA quantification kit for Illumina libraries.

We didn't see many duplicates in our libraries, but we did have a lot of reads map to the mitochrondrial genome (anywhere from 15-75%, depending on the cell type). There is a new protocol out there where you skip the initial cell lysis step and that seems to decrease the number of reads mapping to mtDNA.

Comment

mt genome

Can you tell me where this protocol is available?

Thanks,

Comment

DISCLAIMER: The protocol hasn't been vetted, but in our hands it looks like it decreases the number of reads mapping to mtDNA. Moreover, we don't know if skipping the lysis step alters which regions are 'tagmented'. It could lead to bias in the library.

That being said, it is a pretty simple modification. All you do is skip steps I.4 and I.5 in the protocol in this thread. So you wash the cells once with 50ul PBS, spin down, and then go right into the transposition reaction.

Comment

I have been trying the ATAC-seq protocol but fail to get the nucleosome pattern. Can anyone help?

I collected my fresh cells from the culture plate by scraping them off in PBS where I split them into 20K, 50K and 100K cells per tube for lysis. The cells were resuspended in 50ul lysis buffer before tagmentation at 37C for 1hr. So far when i ran the tagmented DNA on the Bioanalyzer, I either see a DNA smear or very small fragments of 200bp.

Comment

I have been trying the ATAC-seq protocol but fail to get the nucleosome pattern. Can anyone help?

I collected my fresh cells from the culture plate by scraping them off in PBS where I split them into 20K, 50K and 100K cells per tube for lysis. The cells were resuspended in 50ul lysis buffer before tagmentation at 37C for 1hr. So far when i ran the tagmented DNA on the Bioanalyzer, I either see a DNA smear or very small fragments of 200bp.
                      Here are a few things that might help:
                      1) Did you do PCR amplification after the tagmentation and before running the bioanalyzer? Prior to PCR the amount of DNA will be much too small to see on a bioanalyzer, which is why you need to do 8-16 cycles of PCR.

2) You only need to tagment for 30min at 37C.

Lastly, could you also please post a picture of the two examples of bioanalyzer traces that you see? The "DNA smear" and "very small fragments of 200bp"?

Comment

A correction to my previous post, tagmentation was done at 37C for 30min in the below conditions:
                        1) 20K cells, 10ul Tag reaction vol (1ul enzyme) no clean up before PCR (10cycles) clean up using 1:1 Ampure beads and ran on Bioanalyzer (~200-400bp)

2) 20K cells, 25ul Tag reaction vol (2ul enzyme) clean up in Qiagen MinElute col elute in 10ul and use all the transpose DNA for 10 cycles PCR, ran 10ul of amplified product on a 6% TBE gel (observed smear).

So far no luck in the nucleosome pattern.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	ATAC_291214.png
Views:	1
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	304774

Comment

A correction to my previous post, tagmentation was done at 37C for 30min in the below conditions:
                          1) 20K cells, 10ul Tag reaction vol (1ul enzyme) no clean up before PCR (10cycles) clean up using 1:1 Ampure beads and ran on Bioanalyzer (~200-400bp)

2) 20K cells, 25ul Tag reaction vol (2ul enzyme) clean up in Qiagen MinElute col elute in 10ul and use all the transpose DNA for 10 cycles PCR, ran 10ul of amplified product on a 6% TBE gel (observed smear).

So far no luck in the nucleosome pattern.
                          [ATTACH]3499[/ATTACH]
                          Thanks for the update. That bioanalyzer trace looks like a really good truseq library, not so much a good ATAC-seq library. I wonder what is happening in that your DNA is only amplifying in that really small range. Here are some thoughts:

1) What kind of cells did you use? Also - maybe you could try more than 50K cells? And you can skip the lysis step and go straight to the transposition if you want.

2) Smaller fragments will preferentially amplify, so if you have a lot of small fragments, those will take over the library.

Good luck.

Comment

I think maybe it is because you added relatively more enzyme compared to your cell amount, and the open chromatin was well or even over digested, so you got the main peak from bioanalyzer which is around 200-300bp. It also happened to me actually, I also have no clue. However, this is a quite new technique, it is not surprising that funny things happen.

Comment

Originally posted by nsmackler View Post
                              DISCLAIMER: The protocol hasn't been vetted, but in our hands it looks like it decreases the number of reads mapping to mtDNA. Moreover, we don't know if skipping the lysis step alters which regions are 'tagmented'. It could lead to bias in the library.

That being said, it is a pretty simple modification. All you do is skip steps I.4 and I.5 in the protocol in this thread. So you wash the cells once with 50ul PBS, spin down, and then go right into the transposition reaction.
                              If this works, does that mean that both the plasma membrane and the nuclear envelope are permeable to the transposase?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses