SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tophat uniquely mapped reads mrfox Bioinformatics 2 05-23-2013 05:58 AM
not uniquely mapped reads unidodo RNA Sequencing 2 04-22-2011 02:07 PM
BWA Uniquely Mapped Reads NF_seq Bioinformatics 0 09-06-2010 03:32 AM
DEGseq and uniquely mapped reads PFS Bioinformatics 1 07-14-2010 09:37 AM
cufflinks and non-uniquely mapped reads clariet Bioinformatics 1 05-08-2010 11:13 AM

Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
pravee1216

Default GATK variant calling on uniquely mapped reads?

Hello All,

Does GATK use uniquely mapped or reads that satisfy the parameter criteria for calling variants by default? How do I instruct GATK to use only uniquely mapped reads to variant calling?

Any comments or experience on this

Thanks

Raj
pravee1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
neha

Hi ,

I think if you want to call variants only on uniquely mapped reads you can first remove duplicates using picardtools and then call variants using GATK.

Also you can do per base score recalibration with GATK and then call variants so that there is more confidence in calling variants.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Neha
neha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
pravee1216

I don't think so, because duplicate removal doesn't mean that reads mapped to multiple locations are eliminated. Both are two different concepts. why I am saying this because even if you dedup reads, still you would see reads with mapQ=0 (means reads mapped to more than one location in reference). I think, applying a mapQ cut-off would *also* be required to get uniquely mapped reads. What do you say?
pravee1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
brofallon

I believe by default that reads with zero mapping quality are ignored by the UnifiedGenotyper. If you're curious, you could filter out such reads using the PrintReads tool and the MappingQualityZero filter (see the first example here: http://www.broadinstitute.org/gsa/ga...adsWalker.html
brofallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
neha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravee1216 View Post
I don't think so, because duplicate removal doesn't mean that reads mapped to multiple locations are eliminated. Both are two different concepts. why I am saying this because even if you dedup reads, still you would see reads with mapQ=0 (means reads mapped to more than one location in reference). I think, applying a mapQ cut-off would *also* be required to get uniquely mapped reads. What do you say?
Maping quality does not tell whether reads are uniquely mapped or duplicate. It signifies the hypothesis of having confidence that read mapping to particular genomic position is correct. Higher the mapping quality value more is the confidence.
neha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
jflowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by neha View Post
Maping quality does not tell whether reads are uniquely mapped or duplicate. It signifies the hypothesis of having confidence that read mapping to particular genomic position is correct. Higher the mapping quality value more is the confidence.
That is not necessarily true. If you have aligned your data with BWA then the recommended way to get "unique" reads (by Heng Li) is to filter on map quality. See the samtools FAQ under the section "I want to get `unique' alignments from SAM/BAM":
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...?title=SAM_FAQ

In cases where reads are reliable (ie map "uniquely") mapq will be set to > 0 in BWA. I suspect this is specific to the aligner.
jflowers is offline   Reply With Quote