Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earonesty View Post
    Poor alignment quality slows down bwa because it has to work harder. One way to speed things up is to clean up your fastq file before feeding it to the aligner. (Removing N's, low quality sequence tails, adapter/primer reads, etc.)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't N's speed up BWA? As soon as the sequence being processed passes a certain mismatch/indel threshold the alignment process for said sequence is aborted, and BWA moves onto the next sequence.

Comment

Perhaps that's how it's supposed to work... but repeats, artifacts and primers, N's etc seem to slow things down for me. A lot of N's - I would agree. But imagine a few... these get matched as "A or T or G or C" causing lots of potential matches, and requiring each match to be more rigorously evaluated. If you trim them from the ends... it won't hurt your alignment at all (bwa may do this in newer versions? ), but you can't trim them from the middle -- and they necessitate exhaustive searching of the possibilities.
      Last edited by earonesty; 04-16-2011, 11:36 AM.

Comment

A lot of N's - I would agree. But imagine a few... these get matched as "A or T or G or C" causing lots of potential matches, and requiring each match to be more rigorously evaluated.
        They do not get matched as "A or T or G or C". An N in an input sequence is automatically treated as a mismatch.

An N in the reference sequence is randomly assigned A/T/G/C.

This is from the BWA paper, as well, I verified this in the code.

Comment

Liang Ping and Darren Peters have pointed out that the multithreading in bwa aln is not optimal. It is fine for ~10 threads, but when you push to ~20 threads, a lot of CPU time will be wasted on synchronization. They have provided a patch which has been applied to:

Burrow-Wheeler Aligner for short-read alignment (see minimap2 for long-read alignment) - lh3/bwa

Comment

Originally posted by dp05yk View Post
            They do not get matched as "A or T or G or C". An N in an input sequence is automatically treated as a mismatch.

An N in the reference sequence is randomly assigned A/T/G/C.

This is from the BWA paper, as well, I verified this in the code.
            Sorry, my explanation was a terse summary of the net effect, not meant as a literal explanation of what happens.

Unlike a nucleotide mismatch, an "N" is not a "mismatch for some and a non-mismatch for others"... it's "equally a mismatch for all possible reference bases" ... which causes "more possible equal matches".

Here's a concrete example:

You can see how "ANGGCTGC" can match many more locations with equal likelihood as opposed to "ATGGCTGC" ... which will match, on average, around 4 times fewer locations... only those with T's in the second position. The first sequence would be a poor, but still passing match for many more locations. As long as there are not enough N's to discredit a whole alignment, the aligner has to consider more possible locations as potential (albeit poor) matches.

Or maybe you're right... maybe it's not the N's... maybe it's just a high error rate, or poor alignment quality, or something else. But if I every try aligning with a "uncleaned" fastq... (adapters, skewing, or especially poor quality tails) ... it's always a lot slower (and a waste of that time aligning stuff no one wants to see).

Perhaps (mostly to assure myself I'm not crazy) I'll cobble together an example that's easy to test if I have some time tomorrow.
            Last edited by earonesty; 04-16-2011, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Using wgsim, it seems I was definitely wrong about N's...

You can see how "ANGGCTGC" can match many more locations with equal likelihood as opposed to "ATGGCTGC" ... which will match, on average, around 4 times fewer locations... only those with T's in the second position. The first sequence would be a poor, but still passing match for many more locations. As long as there are not enough N's to discredit a whole alignment, the aligner has to consider more possible locations as potential (albeit poor) matches.
              I ran a bunch of simulations with 100K reads and yeast and human genomes, i tried seed lengths of 32 and 17. Tried each command twice and kept the better result (to avoid drive-cache issues).

When running with a seed length of 32:

1. Extra N's don't change things much. Too many extra speeds things up as sequences fail to align.

2. Increasing error rate from .02 to .04 drops performance by 10% and 20% for the 2 seed lengths, but then going much higher causes performance to increase ... as sequences fail to align.

So the error rate is the issue I probably see when cleaning up data... not N's. N's are just an artifact within the lower-quality tiles that I thought were causing issues... but weren't. I definitely have seen bwa run terribly slow on data that wasn't cleaned up... 10-20% in simulation isn't near the effect I've seen. Can't seem to reproduce it though.
              Last edited by earonesty; 04-18-2011, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dp05yk View Post
                It depends which algorithm in BWA you use. I checked for bwasw and there Ns in the input sequence will be replaced by a random base. Therefore, they might not be treated as a mismatch and you will likely get different results when running BWA multiple times.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses