No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a compute server for RNA-seq

Hi all,

I'm going to be processing a number of Illumina paired-end RNA-seq samples, and looking to build a new server to handle the load. Production work can be done on a cluster once we get going (over 2k samples planned) but for now I want something I can use for 6-20 samples over the next couple months.

I was thinking of something with 8 cores, 32gb memory, but more cores would be better. Any suggestions on what would be an ideal configuration, even down to specifying hardware, would be appreciated

Here is a thread about this from not so long ago. 6-20 samples over a couple of months can be done on a very simple *nix machine.

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

If you are planning to move to a cluster eventually why not just start there?
    Last edited by GenoMax; 12-18-2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Here is a thread about this from not so long ago. 6-20 samples over a couple of months can be done on a very simple *nix machine.

http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24772
      Thanks. A lot of that thread is geared toward buying Apple. I plan on building a server. Also the CPU's they recommend are $1500 each. No discussion of AMD as an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by moldoverb View Post
        Thanks. A lot of that thread is geared toward buying Apple. I plan on building a server. Also the CPU's they recommend are $1500 each. No discussion of AMD as an alternative.
        Posts #6 and #4 have the general info you are looking for in that thread. Since linux will run equally well on intel or AMD chips the exact CPU purchase would be your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
          Posts #6 and #4 have the general info you are looking for in that thread. Since linux will run equally well on intel or AMD chips the exact CPU purchase would be your choice.
          Looking at the AMD 6273 processor - 16 cores and I could put two on one motherboard. Only issue is that it is limited to 8 FPU's and I don't know if tophat/cufflinks etc. does a lot of floating-point calculations or mostly integer.

Comment

I might interject opting for 48GB RAM instead of 32. I bet you'll see newer aligners (e.g. STAR) come out over the next few years that trade a modest memory requirement increase for a big gain in mapping speed. STAR requires about 30GB RAM. 32 might be insufficient after any OS and other requirements.

Comment

This is getting fun. It looks like I could build a decent machine for around $2200. I have a 4Tb RAID array which I can dedicate to this machine, and a couple 1Tb drives, so that saves money. To turnersd point, I can always add more memory later.

2x AMD Opteron 6272 CPU (16 core each)
              32gb Quad memory
              256gb SSD

cooling/case/DVD

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses