Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building indexes with bowtie-build

Hello, I am currently trying to align two closely related genomes from multiple sequence fasta files. I have a target genome which is made of 1168 sequences in a single fasta file and I wish to use this to build indexes. Initially I did this with the command "bowtie-build target_file.fa t_index". This ran in a reasonable amount of time and produced 6 index files: t_index.1.ebwt, t_index.2.ebwt, t_index.3.ebwt, t_index.4.ebwt, t_index.rev.1.ebwt, t_index.rev.2.ebwt.
    I then ran the command "bowtie t_index -f -t -p4 -l 13 ../PATH/TO/QUERY output.map" to run an alignment, where QUERY is also a multiple sequence fasta file where each sequence length is <= 1024 bases. My output was not what I was expecting; I got only 5.03% alignment when I was expecting over 90%. This lead my to wonder whether or not indexes had been created correctly. Is bowtie-build able to take a multisequence fasta file? Maybe each index file was being overwritten by each following sequence in the target file? I tweaked some parameters and was still not able to get over 6% alignment.

Self alignment

I tested the indexes by running them against the sequences they were created from and only got 67% alignment so this leads me to further doubt the indexes obtained. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Comment

I have successfully built the index from multiple sequences in a fasta file and the mapping results seem all right. I guess the problem you encountered is because of the length of the sequence you queried. Such kind of NGS mapping tools is mainly designed for short read alignment.
      Xi Wang

Comment

I've heard of bowtie, but have not a try yet.

Comment

For the read lengths you are working with, you are probably better off using a different alignment tool. BWA has an alignment option that specifically accommodates longer read lengths (bwasw). http://bio-bwa.sourceforge.net/

Originally posted by bre View Post
          I tested the indexes by running them against the sequences they were created from and only got 67% alignment so this leads me to further doubt the indexes obtained. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
          0 responses