SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tRNA and rRNA depletion ramsemm RNA Sequencing 1 06-15-2018 02:43 AM
RNA QC: DNA contamination bad for rRNA depletion/mRNA capture kgoglin Core Facilities 3 12-12-2016 03:15 PM
Best method/kit for rRNA depletion memento Illumina/Solexa 0 07-31-2013 07:49 PM
tRNA/5S rRNA depletion mateo Sample Prep / Library Generation 4 01-26-2012 03:48 PM

Old 02-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
dejonggr

Default Plant total RNA with rRNA depletion: result expectations

Hi all,

I recently got some RNA-seq data back that's left a bit puzzled. I opted for total RNA with rRNA depletion during library prep which was then sequenced using the Novaseq platform.

Of the resulting reads, there are some samples where only 30% of reads map to the nuclear genome - should this be expected?

I did some sleuthing and most unmapped reads map to the plastid.

I expected plant chloroplasts to feature prominently (given it is a leaf) but not constitute ~70% of my data.

Has anyone experienced this before? Was there a mistake made along the way?
dejonggr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

They might have used Ribo-Zero for plant seed/root which lacks probes for removing chloroplast transcripts. This kit was discontinued late last year and updated kit is used for all plant tissue types.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
SNPsaurus
Registered Vendor

This paper https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5015939/ shows >30% chloroplast-mapped reads in rRNA depleted total RNA prepared from seedlings. Your 70% is high, but a leaf might have more plastid transcription compared to a seedling (just hand waving but it seems possible you are seeing a biologically relevant level of plastid transcription).
Old 02-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #4
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

Link to Illumina Ribo-Zero Plant performance: https://www.illumina.com/products/by...l?langsel=/us/
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
dejonggr

I'm still waiting the name of the specific kit that was used for rRNA depletion.

Also, in the meantime I discovered that 30-38% of all reads (sample-wide) mapped to a single gene region (psbA) - which is over 50% of the chloroplastic reads. I tried to do a cursory lit search but I couldn't find any evidence that for such dramatic expression of this gene (but it does make sense given its importance for photosynthesis.
dejonggr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plastid, total rna-seq