No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopHat options for small RNAseq

Hi,

We recently performed a small RNAseq for the first time at our institute (and NGS core) and unfortunately the quality of the reads is not ideal. However, it would be nice if I can still get something out of the data...
    Therefore, I was wondering if I could change the tophat options used for alignment of the reads (at the moment the default options are used), i.e.if there are certain parameters specific for small RNA analysis?
    Or is there anything else to consider? (after tophat I'm only counting the reads and compare these between the different samples, so tophat seems to be the crucial step for the analysis).

Thanks in advance,
    Jeannine

You probably don't need to be using TopHat for small RNA analysis since there is no splicing involved; Bowtie or BWA should work just fine. If you're concerned with low read quality, you may either filter out the low quality reads or ignore the quality information altogether using --ignore-quals in Bowtie. I would not recommend doing this, however, as the alignment tools use the quality data to determine the most accurate alignment. Ignoring the quality information may introduce some false positives during the alignment

Comment

We use BWA for small RNA-seq, and an added advantage is that it will clip reads for you based on quality (i.e. dynamically). I would suggest trying it and seeing how many reads map.

Also, have you remembered to clip the adaptors? (asking just in case, sorry if it's obvious to you).

Comment

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

How should I choose the GFT file for small RNA seq analysis? Can I use the same gene annotation GFT for regular RNA-seq pipeline? Thank you in advance.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses