No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help/advise to NGS virgin....

Dear All

I haven't previously had any reason to apply NGS in my research but do now and am finding I've been left behind a bit! So - and I am reading all I can including posts here - please be kind! I am writing a grant application that was designed, initially, to use just 16S rRNA phylogenetic profiling to compare species abundances in gut microbiota between patients in a group with a specific metabolic disorder and matched controls. It was subsequently suggested that some form of metabolic network analyses might be usefully applied and that this would preferably require shotgun metagenomic data be obtained in addition to the 16S.

Would applying both these approaches be justified in that they would/should provide different but complementary data sets?

I am interested in a specific metabolic pathway mediated by the gut microbiota and would like to determine whether this pathway is over/under represented in the microbiota between the two groups. Should we concentrate on reassembling just this KEGG-annotated pathway from the shotgun metagenomic data or is there a more global metabolic network analysis scheme that could be applied that would not only reveal any differences in this specific pathway but would, in addition, provide insight into any other differences in the metabolic capacity of the gut microbiota between test and control groups?

Lastly, there appear to be a plethora of different software methods to clean, filter, QC the original sequence data before its considered fit to use. Is there any sort of a 'flow-chart' that would guide a beginner through these options?

Look into the program Humann: http://huttenhower.sph.harvard.edu/humann

It should be a good starting point for metabolic pathway profiling of a metagenome sample.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses