Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to look at differential expression of a pseduo gene?

Hi all

When do RNA-Seq analysis, after I have finished the alignment by Tophat and get the accpeted_hits.bam. Now I want to looked at if it is has differential expression at the corresponding area (We called it 'pseduo gene' which haven't been annotated by reference genome ). How could I do it ?

I think the best way is to add this pseduo gene to reference genome GTF file. And then I could play HTSeq-count or Cuffdiff to look at the differential expression of this gene .

Here is the effort I made so far . I have add the Chr21:100000-200000 as 'exon' (a pseudo gene) to the genes.gtf of Ensembl, rename the GTF file.

Code:
    $ head genes_hello.gtf
    [B]21 protein_coding exon 100000 200000 . + . exon_id "ENSECAE00000000001"; exon_number "1"; gene_biotype "protein_coding"; gene_id "ENSECAG00000099999"; gene_name "HELLO"; gene_source "ensembl"; p_id "P99999"; transcript_id "ENSECAT00000099999"; transcript_name "HELLO-001"; transcript_source "ensembl"; tss_id "TSS9999";[/B]
    1 protein_coding UTR 11193 11209 . + . gene_biotype "protein_coding"; gene_id "ENSECAG00000012421"; gene_name "SYCE1"; gene_source "ensembl"; p_id "P20975"; transcript_id "ENSECAT00000013004"; transcript_name "SYCE1-201"; transcript_source "ensembl"; tss_id "TSS1013";
    1 protein_coding exon 11193 11261 . + . exon_id "ENSECAE00000079002"; exon_number "1"; gene_biotype "protein_coding"; gene_id "ENSECAG00000012421"; gene_name "SYCE1"; gene_source "ensembl"; p_id "P20975"; transcript_id "ENSECAT00000013004"; transcript_name "SYCE1-201"; transcript_source "ensembl"; tss_id "TSS1013";
    However, if I run the Cuffdiff directly, the output (DE result) didn't contain any my pseudo gene information. And if I ran HTSeq-count , it gave me the error:

Code:
    $ htseq-count -s yes aligned_sorted.sam genes_hello.gtf>gene_count.txt

Error occured when processing GFF file (line 1 of file genes.gtf):
      need more than 1 value to unpack
      [Exception type: ValueError, raised in __init__.py:207]
    Error occured when processing GFF file (line 1 of file genes.gtf):
      need more than 1 value to unpack
      [Exception type: ValueError, raised in __init__.py:207]
    It seems that I didn't add the pseduo gene properly. Does anyone know how to do it?

Thank you very much!

Have you tried to create a full record of your entry? If you name it "protein_coding" I'd assume at least lines for start/stop have to be specified as well, evtl also the UTR. Look at correct entries of single exon genes. Maybe the sort order is also important (put the entry in the correct place on chr21), but I'm not sure about that.

Comment

A similar query has been answered: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65499

Comment

@super0925: I have wondered why you chose to call this a "pseudogene" in both posts. Since the standard definition does not seem to apply (you are also seeing differential expression)?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
          @super0925: I have wondered why you chose to call this a "pseudogene" in both posts. Since the standard definition does not seem to apply (you are also seeing differential expression)?
          Yep. I think maybe we need call it 'Anonymous gene' to explain 'the gene without annotation at the genome '

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses