No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blastx parameters to return top 5 hits for each contigs

Hi
    I performed a blastx of some thousand contigs and I want only top 5 hits for each contigs if it has more than 5 hits.
    The result will go to Blast2GO to do GO mapping.

With this post I know http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41875 blastall could do it.

Which is blastx -p blastx -b 1 - v 1(but it is only 1 hit)
    Options from blastall
    -v Number of one line descriptions
    -b Number of alignments to show

(1) how about 5? is it -b 5 -v 5?
    And e-value? I don't know which is better cause I saw some post said 1e-3 but some said 1e-6 is better.

(2) if I directly use blastx not the old version blastall, which parameter could I set?

-max_target_seqs
    -num_alignments
    -max_hsps

Thank you!
    Last edited by super0925; 08-05-2015, 03:35 AM.

Is there a reason you are using an old version of blast (based on your references to blastall)?

If you want to keep using the old version for some reason then "blastall -help or blastx -help" should produce enough on-screen help that will help answer the question you have. You are basically on the right track.

It may help to understand e-value (http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology...l.pbio.1001014) before you decide if -3 or -06 is better for your intended purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Is there a reason you are using an old version of blast (based on your references to blastall)?

If you want to keep using the old version for some reason then "blastall -help or blastx -help" should produce enough on-screen help that will help answer the question you have. You are basically on the right track.

It may help to understand e-value (http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology...l.pbio.1001014) before you decide if -3 or -06 is better for your intended purpose.
      Hi GenoMax
      Thank you for your help.
      Let's go to latest version blastx help file
      I am confused about the
      -max_target_seqs <Integer, >=1>
      Maximum number of aligned sequences to keep
      * Incompatible with: num_descriptions, num_alignments

-num_alignments <Integer, >=0>
      Number of database sequences to show one-line descriptions for
      Not applicable for outfmt > 4
      Default = `500'
      * Incompatible with: max_target_seqs

-num_alignments <Integer, >=0>
      Number of database sequences to show alignments for
      Default = `250'

Which parameter shall I set for only get 5 hits for each contigs? -num_alignments or -num_alignments or -max_target_seqs

Comment

I got it.
        It is -max_target_seqs 5
        Thank you

Comment

Depends on what output format you are using. If you purely want to keep 5 hits then you would want to use num_alignments 5 and num_descriptions.

parameter -max_target_seqs is ignored for output formats, 0,1,2,3. Use -num_descriptions and -num_alignments to control output
          Last edited by GenoMax; 08-05-2015, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Depends on what output format you are using. If you purely want to keep 5 hits then you would want to use num_alignments 5 and num_descriptions.

I want to ouput XML (option 5),
            so either"-max_target_seqs" or " -num_descriptions and -num_alignments" works???

Comment

Either option works for XML output (-outfmt 5).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses