Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does exactly the contig coverage mean?

Can anyone give the definition about "contig coverage" mean? I am confused about it? Does it mean the number of reads used to assembled to this particular contig?

I also hear coverage? When you do illumina sequencing. What does coverage in sequencing mean? How can you calculate it?

Do these two coverage use the same calculation method?

Thanks.

Its usually best if you can ask the person providing that value what exactly they mean if you aren't sure since there are a number of legitimate ways people use the word 'coverage'.

My naive assumption when someone says 'contig coverage' is that they are talking about the average number of reads spanning each given base position. This value would have been calculated by taking the total no. of bases that map to the contig divided by the contig length. And if the value is an average across many contigs, then its taking the total no. of bases mapping to all contigs divided by the total length of all contigs.

I think when someone is talking about a request for illumina sequencing, and they talk about wanting '200x' coverage worth of illumina sequencing, in that context they are talking about the total number of bases of sequencing they will produce divided by the estimated length of the genome. This coverage value is much more of an estimate than one based on actual mapping (or the internal knowledge of how many reads span each position that an assembler may report as a post-assembly metric). So a request for 100x illumina coverage of a 50Mb genome means you want enough illumina runs to generate 5000Mb of illumina read data. This coverage value can often differ from what you find after you actually assemble the data. If your genome size estimate was wrong, or of the assembly is bad, you may find that the actual 'coverage' you have of the genome will be different from your initial estimate.

I am making a lot of assumptions here, but these would be my guess at what people mean when they are talking about the coverages you are asking about.

Comment

Hi Jmartin,

Thanks. I think the contig coverage explanation is what I need.

For the sequencing coverage, your example is for a genome. I am doing environmental metagenome. So, the sequencing coverage doesn't apply for my case, because I don't have the prior knowledge about my metageome. I don't know how large it is.

Comment

Hmm, yeah I wouldn't know what exactly someone meant by 'illumina coverage' for a metagenomic sample. Unless you already know the community makeup and know the genome sizes. And even then the composition of the community would make it tricky since some genomes may be present in abundance and others may be rare.

Sorry, hopefully someone more in the know will reply.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses