Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Bowtie identify paired end reads?

I can't seem to find an answer to this simple question, although this must be a fairly common issue. I have Illumina paired-end reads from an RNA-Seq run, and have run a script to filter adapter dimers. This operation has resulted in my having different numbers of reads in my _R1 and _R2 files. Does Bowtie identify mate pairs in these files simply using their order, or does it use the read IDs? If it goes in order, then Bowtie will fail to match the correct pairs from my filtered files. If it uses the IDs, then Bowtie should be ok, unless it crashes when a read doesn't have a mate. Does anyone know how this works? Should I just run this data as single-end to avoid these issues?

Dear Volklor,

Paired inputs for Bowtie2:

Pairs are often stored in a pair of files, one file containing the mate 1s and the other containing the mates 2s. The first mate in the file for mate 1 forms a pair with the first mate in the file for mate 2, the second with the second, and so on. When aligning pairs with Bowtie 2, specify the file with the mate 1s mates using the -1 argument and the file with the mate 2s using the -2 argument. This causes Bowtie 2 to take the paired nature of the reads into account when aligning them.
    (http://bowtie-bio.sourceforge.net/bowtie2/manual.shtml)

Please write a simple perl script to order your reads.

Best wishes,
    Rahul
    Rahul Sharma,
    Ph.D
    Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Rahul. I assume that Bowtie 1 (the version I'm using) works the same way as Bowtie 2. In my case, it is not that read order is the only issue; it's that certain reads don't have mates because they've been filtered out. I think my best bet will be to run this data as single-end.

Comment

Hi Volklor,

If you still have the original files somewhere it might be worth running a trimming program that is aware of paired-ends, such as Trimmomatic. We have also written a wrapper around Cutadapt that can do this (trim galore), even though it was initially destined for some other stuff. It would be a shame to let the paired-end information go to waste, wouldn't it?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses