Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HiSeq4000 small RNA libraries (vs 2500)

Hi All,

I'm having some issues running a custom small RNA sequencing protocol on the HiSeq4000, when the same library works perfectly fine on the 2500.

Illumina may not have tested the TruSeq Small RNA protocol using the 4000, so I was wondering if anyone in the community has successfully done sequenced small RNAs on the 4000.

Thanks!

I can't help you, but can you tell us what issues you had and whether you'd already tried the same libraries on a different machine?

Comment

Should've been more specific, yes the libraries are simply not clustering! and they do cluster on the 2500. But I'm just wondering if it is due to the minor differences (2-3nt shorter) in the clustering arms or whether the size of the whole molecule is important in the 4000 due to the differences in clustering.

Comment

Hope you have solved your problem already. If not....small RNA will not cluster on 4000 as the fragment size need to be atleast 300bp to cluster on 4000.

Comment

Even adapter dimers (insert size 0) cluster and sequence just fine on the Hiseq 4000 - there is no problem with the insert length. Small RNA libraries can work. The OP problems might relate to the "custom" part.

Comment

Originally posted by tjhu11 View Post
            Hi All,

I'm having some issues running a custom small RNA sequencing protocol on the HiSeq4000, when the same library works perfectly fine on the 2500.

Illumina may not have tested the TruSeq Small RNA protocol using the 4000, so I was wondering if anyone in the community has successfully done sequenced small RNAs on the 4000.

Thanks!
            The HiSeq4000 product pages do not list TruSeq Small RNA libraries as one of the supported library types for the instrument. Likewise the TruSeq Small RNA support documents do not list the HiSeq4000 as a supported platform.

TruSeq Small RNA libraries require different sequencing and indexing primers than other TruSeq libraries (e.g. DNA, mRNA, etc.). The HiSeq2500 clustering and sequencing reagent kits (both Rapid and High Output) include all required primers for all TruSeq library types as well as Nextera libraries.

While Illumina has not chosen to share with me personally I would bet my favorite P20 Pipetman* that the TruSeq Small RNA primers are not included in the HiSeq4000 reagent kits. If true then your observation that the libraries worked on the 2500 but not the 4000 is entirely expected. Always check kit & platform compatibility before loading anything on a sequencer.

*Since I rarely if ever do actual bench work anymore its not much of bet really.

Comment

If the Illumina kit indeed does not work on the HS 4000 - this one does: http://www.biooscientific.com/Next-G...rary-Prep-Kits

Comment

Originally posted by luc View Post
                If the Illumina kit indeed does not work on the HS 4000 - this one does: http://www.biooscientific.com/Next-G...rary-Prep-Kits
                Has this been tested and confirmed? Without addition of custom sequencing and index primers?

The Bioo NEXTflex Small RNA Kits produce libraries with the same adapter sequences as the TruSeq Small RNA Kit. If you have successfully sequenced Bioo NEXTflex small RNA libraries on a HiSeq 4000, using the stock clustering/sequencing reagent kits, then I'll gladly retract my earlier supposition that the 4000 kits lack the Small RNA primers.

Comment

I contacted a collaborator today who has been using Bioo Scientific small RNA kits and just had samples sequenced on a HiSeq 4000, and although they haven't analyzed the data in detail yet everything appears normal on first pass. I will update if they run into any problems. As kmcarr mentioned, the adapter sequences in the Bioo kits are identical to TruSeq (except Bioo's contain random bases to reduce ligase bias), so since the Bioo kit worked then TruSeq should as well.

As a disclaimer, I work for Bioo Scientific.

Comment

Were you using custom primers?

Custom primers don't work on the HiSeq 4000. Were you trying to use custom primers?

Comment

Our TruSeq Small RNA library works very well on HiSeq 4000. It is not listed as compatible with HiSeq4000 on Illumina website because the protocol is prone to produce adapter dimer. Check bioanalyzer and make sure there is no even trace of adapter dimer.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                        by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                        02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                      0 responses