No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tophat problem - IndexError: list index out of range

Hello everyone,

I have a question about tophat like a lot of other people. But this error I couldn't find anywhere on this forum. I'm trying to execute tophat with this command:
    Code:
    /home/sge_share_fedor8/common_scripts/tophat-2.0.6/tophat2 --color --quals --library-type fr-secondstrand -p 1 --bowtie1 -o /home/sge_share_fedor12/jetse/wntSignalling/tophat/nucleimin/run1/nucleimin1aa  /home/sge_share_fedor12/jetse/wntSignalling/rawData/nucleimin/run1/splitted/aasolid0801_20110721_BCPE_LSBetaRNAseq_Nico_NucleiMin_F3.csfasta /home/sge_share_fedor12/jetse/wntSignalling/rawData/nucleimin/run1/splitted/aasolid0801_20110721_BCPE_LSBetaRNAseq_Nico_NucleiMin_F5.csfasta /home/sge_share_fedor12/jetse/wntSignalling/rawData/nucleimin/run1/splitted/aasolid0801_20110721_BCPE_LSBetaRNAseq_Nico_NucleiMin_F3.qual /home/sge_share_fedor12/jetse/wntSignalling/rawData/nucleimin/run1/splitted/aasolid0801_20110721_BCPE_LSBetaRNAseq_Nico_NucleiMin_F5.qual
    But when executing tophat, I get this error:
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/home/sge_share_fedor8/common_scripts/tophat-2.0.6/tophat", line 4022, in <module>
        sys.exit(main())
      File "/home/sge_share_fedor8/common_scripts/tophat-2.0.6/tophat", line 3799, in main
        right_quals_list = args[4]
    IndexError: list index out of range
    How can I fix this error?
    Last edited by Jetse; 12-07-2012, 02:19 AM. Reason: Fixed

Solved the problem...

When you have the same problem, check your arguments on containing a bowtie index...

Comment

Hi Jetse,
      what did you do to your bowtie index files to solve it? I'm trying to run tophat on the pre-build indexes from the cufflinks page and keep getting the same error

tophat /st_Users/Homo_sapiens/UCSC/hg19/Sequence/BowtieIndex/genome /st_Users/Project/Sample_1minus1/S1_minus1.R.1.fastq /st_Users/Project/Sample_1minus1/S1_minus1.R.2.fastq

I've also tried with specifying the path to .gtf with -G option

Will be very thankful, if you reply

Elizabeth

Comment

Does the command ls -l /st_Users/Homo_sapiens/UCSC/hg19/Sequence/BowtieIndex/genome*.ebwt return all 6 ebwt files you downloaded?

Comment

yes, I've double-checked the indexes path, it is correct
          later, I managed to run tophat by choosing bowtie1 option (I think, this one may be versions conflict OR... I don't know. My data is not colourspace)

Comment

Hello!

I have the same problem. I could not find or understand how to fix this problem.

tophat -p 6 --color --bowtie1 --quals --library-type fr-secondstrand -G /Genomes/mouce_database_10/mm10_c data1-RNA.csfasta data1-RNA.QV.qual

and this give the error!Traceback (most recent call last):
            File "/usr/local/tophat/tophat", line 4095, in <module>
            sys.exit(main())
            File "/usr/local/tophat/tophat", line 3869, in main
            left_quals_list = args[2]
            IndexError: list index out of range

I check the location and number of files available in Genome folder. I found 6 .ebwt files in the Genome folder. Was there any other command that could be useful to solve this problem? and what does this error message means?

Comment

An index in Python refers to a position within an ordered list . This error basically means you are trying to access a value at a List index which is out of bounds i.e greater than the last index of the list or less than the least index in the list. So the first element is 0, second is 1, so on. So if there are n elements in a list, the last element is n-1 . If you try to access the empty or None element by pointing available index of the list, then you will get the "List index out of range " error. To solve this error, you should make sure that you're not trying to access a non-existent item in a list.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses