Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiSeq Grant Program...apply as SEQanswers?

Hey all...just got this in email from Illumina this morning...and I thought it would be interesting to talk about applying as a community...where the instrument is used to sequence a wide range of samples from around the world, and we take advantage of modern computing technologies (BaseSpace, GenomeSpace, etc) to share and collaborate on data.

The deadline is October 15th, feel free to post ideas, comments, proposals, etc. I could certainly find a "host lab" to park the MiSeq and could almost certainly drum up some funding for reagents.

count me in

Comment

Just so you all know: from the Terms and Conditions:

Eligible entries must:
      [...]
      Be available for reasonable promotional activities at Illumina's request for a period of 12 months

Promotional activities may include (but are not limited to):
      Case Studies
      Webinars
      Website/Newsletter story features
      In-person seminars
      Make representative data sets available through BaseSpace
      Public relations such as mention in a press release.
      Some work, methinks...

Comment

I can help. I've got some project ideas but would like to see an update on qualified international participation data here (since the figure for the SEQans Bioinfo paper)--say 5 posts within 1.5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by flxlex View Post
          Just so you all know: from the Terms and Conditions:

Some work, methinks...
          Being Illumina's (or anyone else's) PR monkey doesn't have to take that much time/effort (especially for a press release quote, interview, data sharing etc). Plus, it could give SEQanswers some well deserved publicity.

Comment

deadline is coming, figuredsomething out?
            Marco

Comment

GREAT IDEA!!!! I have a couple suggestions about crazy projects. Let us take a case from so-called alternative knowledge, what NIH's "peer review" would throw out almost immediately. Not something completely stupid like torsion fields or wave genetics, but something that could be supported by a solid set of available biological samples, which a few enthusiastic people cannot attend to seriously because it is impossible to get funding. Fore example - the question of Bigfoot/Sasquatch existence. Look over internet - it is flooded with discussions about sightings, even purported genetic analysis that has been done but cannot be published. Samples - I have samples and we can get more. Where from - search the internet for the story of Zana or Khwit. I can put together an application fast - all I need is list of those who wants participate. With international support we can try for 2013 Pioneer Award or Transitional Research award next September/October. I tried before, but was thrown out ("...a bunch of anecdotal bull...", essentially), but with a better evidence and great international collaboration it would be much more difficult to ignore.

Another idea - coneheads, not from the movies, but from Peru. I have samples too and can get much more.

One can say MiSeq is not adequate for tasks like that. Why? There is a little difference between running loaded GA IIx for 2 weeks or running MiSeq 14 times. The cost of reagents is the same. MiSeq does not have guts to analyze that amount of data, but it can generate data. Analysis - this is what the community is about. Secondly - we are not claiming to answer the question but we are looking for solid preliminary data, and heavy guns can be deployed when enough ammo becomes available.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses