Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging FastQ files from different runs into one?

Hi guys,

I have simple small question. I was wondering if it would be fine to merge 4 runs into one fastq.gz file.

The 4 fastq files have one SRR: SRA010305

There are 4 fastq files on http://trace.ddbj.nig.ac.jp/DRASearc...?acc=SRX014987 and http://www.ebi.ac.uk/ena/data/view/SRX014987

I will use the the following code:

cat file 1.fastq 2.fastq 3.fastq 4.fastq > merged.fastq

or should I run tophat separately on each of the files.

I am looking for differential of expression between the different organs.

Thank you in advance.

I think you should run tophat(and/or any other aligner) seperately for each sample. This will create an alignment file(SAM/BAM format) for each sample.
    Then use other programs for DEG profiling. Since there are so many methods to do that, you might as well do some more in-forum searching

Comment

Thank you for the fast reply. That sounds great.

I did some trimming of these data sets separately and did it combined. It was just to do a compare and contrast. I will now go with doing it separately. Anyway, it seems that I am able to get 16 nucleotide length for the samples. This seems awfully short to use tophat or is it fine?

Thank you again.

PS: I was using trimmomatic to trim the data sets.

Comment

Yes. Yueluo is quite right. Don't merge fastq files. Alignment them separately and then merge BAM or SAM files. It will take less time since alignment can be accelerated with separate Fastq.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses