No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targeted sequencing of large genomic fagments (100 kb) with NGS

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a protocol that describes how to sequence in many individuals a specific stretch of DNA of about 100 kb.

My idea is to PCR amplify this genomic sequence by performing simple, mutliple PCRs with ovelapping products. Since I have a reference genome, primer design won't be any problem. Then, I would simply shear these PCR products to the appropriate fragment size (depending on the platform) and ligate an adapter to them. This I would do seperately for every individual specimen. In case of a HiSeq Illumina platform, I would shear individual PCR products to a length of about 100 bp and ligate an adapter to them that holds the Illumina primer site and a specific barcode. Afterwards I would pool these sheared-barcode-ligated PCR products of many individuals and sequence on a HiSeq.
    Once I get the data, I could then make alignments for every individual (the individual specimen can be inferred by looking at the barcode), which I guess shouldn't have any gaps if I have enough reads per indidivuals available, since reads will overlap (by chance event du to rndom shearing of PCR products).

This is just how I would do it.

Now, PLEASE, I'm looking for any protocols that tell me how to sequence such long-stretch DNA from mutliple individuals on a NGS machine. Can be Roche 454 or Illumina or any other NGS platform. It can be anything like I tried to describe above or a completely different approach.
    Thank you for ideas, protocols, relevant papers etc.!
    Last edited by Marius; 12-19-2011, 12:38 PM.

Have you looked into the Halo Genomics selector technology? This is probably around its sweet spot. If you wish to look at a very large number of individuals, Rain Dance might be a possibility as well.

Any of the capture oligo technologies (Illumina, Agilent, Nimblegen, etc) can operate in this range, of course. You haven't said how big "multiple" is, which could have a huge impact on picking a technology.

Comment

I haven't loooked at these technologies yet..

Regarding "multiple": about 120 individuals, 100 kB each, with a good coverage if possible (50 x or so). Preferentially, I would have a single (ungapped) assembly of these 100bk for each indidivual specimen to then call SNPs..

Since I have easily access to an Illumina platform (HiSeq) and a Roche 454 platform (preferentially Illumina): is there a reliable to way to do this on these platforms?

Comment

Hello,
        Here is a paper that I was on which involved the capture of ~8kb fragments, however it could easily be adapted to capture 100kb. It takes a little more upfront work, but will provide many aliquots for capture.

Although next-generation sequencing (NGS) has been the domain of large genome centers, it is quickly becoming more accessible to general pathology laboratories. In addition to finding single-base changes, NGS allows for the detection of larger structural variants, including insertions/deletions, tra …

Regards,

Jon

Comment

Thank you!!! I actually found this kit by Illumina: TruSeq Custom Amplicon (TSCA).

Does anyone have experience with it? Is it well suited to e.g. sequence 4 different 96kb genomic fragments in multiple specimens? How is the quality? Coverage? - I'm happy for any experience and comments!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses